Woof! Autumn is here and this little puppy couldn't be happier. My card features an Aurora Wings digital stamp with coloured pencil, embossing with Distress Oxides, and die cuts. Hope it's a Fall of sweet surprises for you!
Putting It Together
I like trying different mediums or even just different supplies of a medium I already know. I don't claim to be an expert in any of the mediums or even a "master", but I do feel I have learned enough to be able to branch out a bit and try other supplies.
My sis-in-law and family gifted me these pencils several months ago while I was working on learning pencil technique with Prismacolour. I decided it was high time I gave them some use.
If you want to read my opinion on how these pencils performed and see another sample of my colouring with them, check out my blog post on Big Fish.
I added some additional details using a Gelly Roll metallic pen on the eyelets and white dots with a Posca paint pen. I am really liking the Posca paint pen. I can get tiny vibrant dots with a tap. I also found a die to fit the little guy.
For the background, I started with a panel of slightly reddish yellow and embossed it with houndstooth.
I then used Clarity brushes and Distress Oxides, Vintage Photo and Aged Mohagony, to tone it down and accent the embossing.
I decided to use a blender to add even more accent, so I needed to get the matching blender sponge. I've tried the velcro on a sheet of paper used by others, but it doesn't work for me. It's too awkward in my space. So, I decided to try small baggies on a ring. Each one has a small bit of cardstock with a swipe and the name of the ink. It's a little messy getting them in and out, but what's a bit of ink on your hands? It works great for me, I have room for the rest of inks I don't have yet, too. I think it's rather pretty, too.
I lightly went over the panel with Aged Mohagony on a blender to colour just the raised pattern.
And, voila! My background was done.
I die cut the oval and a matte for the puppy before I did a dry fit with the ribbon and dies I was considering using.
I had decided to use the mirror of the sketch from Feeling Sketchy's current challenge as my layout.
I die cut the leaves from patterned paper scrap. I think this is long retired Stampin' Up paper. To give the leaves a bit of dimension, I used a ball stylus to shape them.
Instead of using the matte, I decided to rub the edges of the puppy panel with the Vintage Photo Distress Oxide.
Using the pad directly to the edges you can get a very thin colour around the panel. I did smudge a little but like the slightly distressed look of it.
I did another dry fit when I changed my mind on the front sentiment. I die cut the hello from a gold glitzy cardstock.
When I saw the 'hello' was going to work, I die cut some brown hellos to stack.
I used the Xyron to add adhesive to all of them with ease.
I used the tip of my bone folder to rub around the edges and minimise the adhesive stringers.
I kept the base die cut on the release paper as I stacked the others on top. Using brown under the glitzy word keeps with the colour scheme and has a softer shadow effect when not seeing the word from the top.
After putting all the elements on a kraft card base, I added three brown gems to complete the card.
Inside, I stamped a sentiment from Unity Stamps.