07 December 2016

Stocking Hung By the Chimney with Care



The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,

In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.



This cute kitty found his way into a stocking hung on the mantle while a fire burns warmly in the fireplace.

Challenges

The East Wind: Meow-y Christmas
Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Christmas Gifts
Crafter's Cafe: Christmas
Fab 'n' Funky: Make Someone Smile
Creative Craft Cottage: Use Die Cuts
The Crafty Addicts: Christmas Colours
Simon Says Stamp Work It Wednesday: Use Dies
Craft Your Passion: Anything Goes
Crafting from the Heart: Anything Goes
Through the Craft Room Door: Anything Goes
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Wonderful Wednesday: Anything Goes


Supplies


Putting It Together

The East Wind newsletter freebie digi for December is an absolutely adorable little kitty in a Christmas stocking. I couldn't resist putting this cutie into a card after I had painted him up. I got the idea to pair him with a fireplace from the nail head in the image.


I resized the digital stamp in Photoshop and then used an ink jet printer (HP) to print the image on 80lb watercolour cardstock. To fix the ink so I can use it with watercolouring, I use hairspray and left the image to dry for a bit more than a day.


I used Distress Ink and water brushes to paint the image. Then I fussy cut the image.


While I paint, I keep notes of the inks used on a scrap of cardstock. I used Stickles Star Dust on the Christmas lights to make them sparkle and added Glossy accents to the candy cane to make it shine. I also brushed some Wink of Stella on the bow to give it a bit of glimmer.


I die cut the Window and hearth from Mercury silver and trimmed away the inner cross piece on the window. Thinking through my stash of dies, I thought about the grass pieces of the Flower Fields set and thought they could make flames. I cut the 'flames' from orange, yellow, and red value cardstock.


Layered together to make flames.


I added foam mounting tape to the back of the fireplace and hearth.I glued the flames together with Tombow mono liquid and attached them to the fireplace.


I dry fit the scene to see what I might be missing or otherwise need adjusting.


I cut a small panel of dark grey linen texture card to fit in the fireplace. I also die cut a hearth from brown 'cause the stocking's nail could never go through the stone/metal of the hearth I originally planned. I drew a line across the hearth with a black pen and added shadowing to the lower half.


I dry fit the loose pieces in the Misti so I could position the front sentiment.


The kitty is attached to the card with both foam mounting tape and adhesive where it crosses the fireplace.


I used red glittery embossing for the sentiment, inside and out.



7 comments:

  1. Aww, that wee kitty, too cute! Your card is so lovely! Thanks so much for playing along with the Fab 'n' Funky girls for our 'Make Someone Smile' challenge. We're so glad you did. Hugs, Wends xoxo Fab 'n' Funky DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card and colouring of the image,great fireplace and love the step by step-----Thank you for joining us at Crafting From The Heart
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, the flames are super, must remember how to get that effect! Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Addicts and Good Luck! :)
    Annabel - Crafty Addicts DT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful Christmas creation! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute kitty and love how you built the fireplace up.Beautifully done.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative and lovely coloring. Love it. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Regards,
    Ann-Marie
    TTCRD DT
    Annemi {My Blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great card - such a cute design!

    Thanks for joining us at the Creative Craft Cottage Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.