04 December 2016

1 cut, 2 cards


A quick way to make two cards is to use a single die cut for the positive and negative space on each card. This shows off the differences in the look is very elegant.

Challenges

Impression Obsession: Quick Christmas Cards
Dies R Us: Christmas
Fab 'n' Funky: Christmas
Try It On Tuesdays: Layer It Up
Simon Says Stamp Work It Wednesday: Use Dies

Supplies


Putting It Together

This is one of my favourite dies of this season. I love the swoops of the font linking one part to another, but it is fussy to apply to the card.


I started this project with an idea and two colours. The idea was to use the negative on one card with the positive on another. The colours I started with were gold, foiled with a linen look, and red velvel/suede. I love the festiveness of scarlet and gold. I cut both to fit on an A2 card with w second gold panel for the second A2 card.


I decided to matte the red with a thin line of black. To get a thin matting, it's easier to affix the matting with a thin edge on two sides and trim the other two sides.


Backing the red suede with black also gives it a bit more rigidity.


Using a Big Shot, I cut the die cut from the centre of the red panel, Because I wanted to use the negative space, I needed to have it well placed in the panel and not on the edge.


I decided to have the positive cut raised, so I cut it from black fun foam as well. The fun foam has adhesive on one side.


On the back of the red panel (with the black matting) I applied adhesive to adhere the fun foam.


Using scrap release paper from adhesive sheet, I covered the parts of the adhesive to allow easier matching of the foam cut with the panel cut.


While removing the die cut from the red panel, I made sure to keep all the small bits to use on the negative space card.


I removed the release paper from the fun foam and once again used release paper to help me guide the die cutting on to the gold panel (that I also matted with a thin black). I used a ruler to help me get the lettering spaced and straight.


The die cutting from the red suede panel backed with black fun foam gives a matted effect to the cutting as well as dimension.


For the negative space card. The red panel was laid on to a gold panel and the little bits added back in. I used the positive space panel to give guidance to where the bits go.


I decided the negative space panel was missing something so I carefully traced the inner edges of the die cut with a black pen to give the illusion of thin matting.


The outlining adds distinction.

I added each panel to a white card base and left the inside blank.







7 comments:

  1. I love this die and you've showcased it perfectly! Both cards are BEAUTIFUL! Great job!! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘CHRISTMAS’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of hard work fiddling with the little pieces, but oh so worth it. These are both lovely. That is a great die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous project ! Thank you very much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday with this beautiful cards!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both cards are very beautiful! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday.
    Mar DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card and thanks for playing with us at TIOT.
    Hugz, Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool process! Your cards are fabulous! Thanks so much for playing along with the Fab 'n' Funky girls for our 'Christmas' challenge. We're so glad you did. Hugs, Wends xoxo Fab 'n' Funky DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, classic Christmas card! Two of my favorite colors. Thanks for joining the Dies R Us December, "Christmas" Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.