05 September 2019

Purr-fect Wave - watercolour marker, glitter marker, alcohol ink, stencilling, stencil embossing


Alo-ha! Gidget is waiting to catch the purr-fect wave on a card featuring stamps and stencil from Newton's Nook, colouring with Zig Clean Color, Nuvo glitter marker, Crayola glitter maker and gel pen, stencil embossing, stencilling with Cosmic Shimmer Opal paste, and a dash of alcohol ink. Whew! I'm ready for the rise and fall of the waves now.

Putting It Together

As I was making this, I was thinking about the movies and TV show with Gidget. They actually pre-date me, but I would watch "old" movies on a local TV station on weekend afternoons.



For the background, I did a dry emboss with the Tropical Leaves stencil using the Spellbinders tan embossing pad and my Big Shot. I then fit the stencil over the embossing to add Cosmic Shimmer opal paste. This gave the leaves dimension and colour without a thick paste. The Parakeet Blue opal paste is shimmery lime green with a blue undertone.


I did a dry fit with dies and the kitty girl surfer to start laying out my idea.


I used the sketch challenge from Inky Paws as my inspiration for the layout.


I was originally thinking of using patterned paper for the bottom of the centre rectangle but on my desk was scrap from another project. I trimmed it and dry fit it with the die.


I made the panel using alcohol inks with blender fluid on a felt pad with marker paper when I was experimenting to see which papers in my stash would also work with alcohol inks. This bit of scribbling makes a lovely marbling in the other project as well: Life is a Circus


I stamped the image on watercolour paper with Fog and coloured it with Zig Clean Color markers, glitter markers from Nuvo and Crayola, and gel pens. I used the Zig and glitter markers with a waterbrush and was pleasantly surprised the metallic gel marker could also be blended with just water. She just needs a pony-tail to be Gidget is so cute.


I fussy cut the kitty, die-cut the middle triangle and found a patterned paper in my stash for the framing to dry fit everything together to see what else I might want to add. I decided my kitty girl takes the place of the ribbon in the sketch.


To add a bit more separation of the rectangle from the background, I added gold Aqua Shimmer to the recessed edges from the Spellbinder die for a translucent mat.


Inside, I used hybrid inks from Simon Says Stamp to add a bit of colourful detail.


I added a sentiment to the central rectangle and popped both it and the kitty up with foam mounting tape while adding everything to the white card base.






Supplies


Challenges

Inky Paws: Sketch 105
Watercooler Wednesday: Feminine
Outlawz Monday Greetings: Layers
Crafty Gals Corner: Emboss It
Addicted to Stamps and More: Make Your Mark
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Stamp It

6 comments:

  1. What an adorable card Kate. It has so many different textures and layers. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week. Dawn -DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember watching Gidget as a kid. Your card is adorable and the background works perfectly with the surfboard. Thanks for playing along with us at Inky Paws!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love when a scrap from another project is the perfect piece for your new project?! So cute. Thanks for joining us at the Inky Paws Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulously designed card! I really like the soft-color scheme! Thanks for sharing with us at Inky Paws!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute card! And I love the background! Thank you for joining us this week at
    Crafty Gals Corner Challenges .
    Scrapbookingmamaw {My Blog}
    Blessings! Jeanie Ellis, DT, Crafty Gals Corner
    www.craftygalscornerchallenges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great card! Fabulous background you created. I love that you were able to use a scrap of paper you found on your craft table. Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More!

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.