01 September 2019

She Blinded Me With Science - Sheepski Designs, coloured pencil, die cuts


Science! Women in science and other STEM professions is important for our future. My science student card features the Sheepski Designs digital stamp, Hope, with Prismacolor pencil colouring, stencilling, and dies from Sizzix and Tim Holtz. "She blinded me with science!"

For the month of September, the theme for the Sheepski Designs challenge is die cuts or punches. Come join us!

SheepSki Designs Challenge Blog
SheepSki Designs Etsy shop
SheepSki Designs FaceBook group

Putting It Together

Partway through making this card, I realized I was making it for one of my co-workers, a co-op/intern who is graduating this week and leaving us next month. As for the title of this post, yes, I went to high school in the 80s. 


I used Prismacolor pencils to colour Hope and her work surface on orange-y MiTientes. If I had known I was making this for my co-worker while I was colouring, I would have given her dark brown hair. But, I have a particular love for colouring red hair which is why I went red while colouring. I love how the sweater turned out.


For science-y accents, I decided to use the Atomic Elements set from Tim Holtz / Sizzix. I did a dry fit of my idea before heading to bed.


Overnight and while at my day job, I mulled over my project and decided to add a bit of stencilling. To protect my coloured image, I needed a mask. So, I took some plastic packaging and cut one. I used repositional adhesive on the bottom edge to keep the mask in place.


 I used Cosmic Shimmer lustre paste to add the circuit board.


With the stencil and mask off, the circuitry looks like it's behind her.


I die cut glitter cardstock for the Atomic Elements and dry fit some for positioning and to see what colours would work best.  I decided to tuck in bit of geekery since one of the dies looked a lot like the communications badge from a science fiction TV show.


Before finishing the front, I did some layout work on the inside. It was at this time I realised I was making the card for my coworker. I used some of the die-cuts that didn't fit colour-wise on the front to add details inside. I also am finally using one of the stamps from a set a dear friend gave me a couple years ago.


I used the glue sponge to add adhesive to the fine die-cut elements before adding them. I put everything on a black card base that's also the matting. 



Inside, I used a pearl cardstock for the white shape that I used to write a personal sentiment. I embossed the sentiments in gold and silver before adding the Atomic Elements.




Supplies


Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Monday: S is for Science!
The Paper Shelter: Back to School
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes
Addicted to Stamps and More: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes
Outlawz Festive Fridays: Theme - Anything Goes

4 comments:

  1. What a fab card! (and living in a house full of science geeks, I really need to buy me that die set! lol) Thank you for joining in with us at The Paper Shelter this week. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fabulous card! Amazing detailing and love the image. Thank you for sharing your card with us at ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woww !!! Stenciling looks so great on the card. Thank you for entering at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges . Good luck with your entry.
    Sharmitha @ Crafter's Icon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant use of dies, I LOVE all the sciencey stuff!! What an awesome card Rijacki <3
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.