05 May 2019

World of Wonder - watercolour with ink, stencilling


This little girl is concentrating so hard to catch the wonder of the world around her, or at least just a butterfly. The image is from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps that I watercoloured using Krafty Kolors inks. The background is a stencil from Visible Image on which I also used Krafty Kolors.


Putting It Together

I love stencils. Even though I have over 100, I am still always looking for more to add to my collection. But, I also love using them, too. They're so versatile and can be used with different media. 



I sprayed one side of the stencil with a repositionable adhesive then laid it on a white panel of cardstock. The adhesive makes sure it won't move while I use it but will easily remove when I am done. I applied the colours with two tools. I used a barber brush for a soft base and then to soften the edges of the blends. I have several of the brushes which are sadly discontinued. I have one brush for each colour group so I don't have to worry about cleaning them between use. Other brushes would work similarly, I just like the feel of these compact brushes.


I also used a blender tool and sponge for the darker areas. 


 I used four colours for the soft butterfly background.


I stamped my image with Marvelous Mocha on watercolour paper. I  roughly cut it to do a dry fit on the background to make sure it would fit with my idea.


I used waterbrushes and more Kimmie inks to colour the image. Kraftin' Kimmie inks are hybrid. They're water-based but dry quickly. I clean my brush quickly and thoroughly between each colour to keep the ink from drying on the bristles.


I fussy cut the image with a thin margin and dry fit it on the background again to ponder what else to do.


After stamping the image on a thin strip and putting it with the image, I decided that's all I needed. I added everything to a white cardbase popping up the image with foam mounting tape.


Inside, I echoed the colours from the front by using the brushes and blending sponge to bring in colour to the edges.



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: National Scrapbooking Day game 2 - Coloured Ink
Watercooler Wednesday: Feminine
Scraping 4 Fun: Ladies
Always Fun: Female
Crafter's Cafe: Make Your Own Background
Try It on Tuesday: Things with Wings
Outlawz Monday Greetings: Anything Goes

9 comments:

  1. Oh Kate, I love the rainbow of colours you've used for your stencilling. The resulting lines really do make me think of the erratic flight of a butterfly. Such a sweet little image, too, and so beautifully coloured. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful created! Thank you for joining us over at Try It On Tuesday! Susi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woww this is a fantastic card Kate !!I love the stunning background, this stencil is wonderful, and the stamping image so lovely. Great design too.
    I want to thank you very much for joining us again at Try it on Tuesday.
    I wish you a very nice day,
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cute and a fun take on the challenge. I like how you made the butterflies the background and not the centerpiece. Thanks so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Kate, I love your colourful stenciling! You have over 100 stencils!! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card beautiful colors and great sentiment!!!! Thanks for playing along with us at Always Fun Challenges Blog...

    Waleska Owner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for linking your really cute card with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! the colors are very nice and the little butterfly catcher is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful technique and beautiful card! Thank you for joining us at the Outlawz Monday Greetings Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.