20 May 2019

Less Travelled - stencilling, alcohol ink


Oft times, the road less travelled is the best one to take but is not always the easiest to take without help. My card today celebrates thanking someone for helping to go on a new path. My card features stencilling and alcohol ink with a sentiment from Unity Stamp Co.

Putting It Together

I made the cobblestone panel on the weekend Crafternoon with my friend. 



As an experiment, I used a stencil to add transparent gloss texture paste to a panel of poster board. I wanted to see if it would act as a resist for the alcohol ink as it does with water-based media.


The transparent gloss paste not only didn't act as a resist, it became sticky while the ink was wet. The ink did move and blend on the gloss paste creating an interesting effect. I was aiming for a mossy cobblestone look. The colours did darken as they dried with the transparent paste and the paste did become glossy again as well as translucent.


After trimming the panel to the stencilling, I discovered it was only 5 inches long.


Because I wanted the panel to go side to side, I simply trimmed the side of the card making it a 5" x 4 1/4" card.


For mounted rubber stamps, I like using the Tim Holz stamp platform (which sadly won't be available in North America).  To hold the cardstock in place without magnets, I use the Sizzix Sticky Grid.


I have a Ranger craft mat that I have cut up. One of the pieces is for my stamp platform. It can cover the sticky grid, too, which makes it last longer. Since the mat is translucent, I can see the grid through it and it doesn't move, too. This makes both more useful.


Back to my card, I stamped the sentiment on kraft and trimmed it with a tag die. I added it over the cobbles with foam mounting tape, adding cotton cord which I tacked in place with glue.


Inside, I added the rest of the trimmed stencilled panel.



Supplies


Challenges

Watercooler Wednesday: Masculine
Simon Says Stamp Monday: Use Stencils
Love to Scrap: Masculine
Outlawz Festive Friday: Theme - Anything Goes
Crafter's Cafe: Tag

2 comments:

  1. I love this clever panel and the great colour combinations, Rijacki! I'm going to try this technique myself soon! Love it! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great design. Thanks for entering your wonderful creation at The Crafter's Cafe this fortnight for our "Shaker card or Tag or Something beginning with M" challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.