08 October 2018

Take Flight - mixed media, stencil


"Black singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly..." My wall decor item features a stencil from Carabella Studies with Cosmic Shimmer gilding paste, Glitter Kiss, and Nuvo Embellishment Mousse.

Putting It Together

Sometimes I get an idea in my head that just won't fit on a card. 



When I bought this stencil, I didn't realise it was going to be so large. But it really is a compelling image. I picked up the frame on a trip to JoAnns this summer. The two almost fit perfectly.


I divided the stencil's images and trimmed the bottom and the stencil fit perfectly.


I used a nail buffer from the dollar store to smooth the edges of the wood.


I picked up the Tangerine Cosmic Shimmer this weekend, having fallen in love with the colour on a previous trip to the shop but run out of budget. Cosmic Shimmer has a sponge dauber in the cap. I used that sponge to apply the colour directly to the wood. I like having grain show through.


To get in the corners, I used a silicone brush.


I added red French Rose Nuvo Mousse to the bottom of the orange with dauber and silicone brush for a sunset or sunrise feel to the piece. Both the Cosmic Shimmer and the Nuvo Mousse dry almost instantly. They don't actually blend but laying them gives a blended look.


I used Pacific Teal Nuvo Mousse on the sides.


I used Purple tape to secure the stencil in place and mask off the other exposed areas.


I used a wide silicone brush and black gesso to fill in the stencil.


 I carefully removed the stencil and tape to expose the wet stencilling.


I applied Blue Teal Glitter Kiss to the top edge of the frame and left it to dry overnight.


In the morning, I decided to lighten the frame using Aquamarine Nuvo Mousse with a sponge dauber. Going over the dried Glitter Kiss, the Aquamarine went on roughly, looking a bit distressed.


I decided I liked the sparkle of the glitter so I went back over the frame again with the Glitter Kiss.


Supplies


Challenges

Outlawz Tuesday Colour: Image inspiration palette with a Feather
More Mixed Media: Orange
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
Pearly Sparkles: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes



1 comment:

  1. Simply stunning Rijacki. Love all the mixed media elements you used here and that stencil is amazing. What a perfect fit for your painted frame. Love it. So glad I saw this over at Outlawz. Thanks for sharing your blog there too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.