11 October 2018

Spooky - embossing


"As the moon climbs high o'er dead oak tree..." My spooky card features a Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps set embossed with Baked Texture and glow-in-the dark.

Putting It Together

Halloween is my favourite time of year. 



I did a dry layout with the elements I wanted to include in my design. The metal charms are from a card kit from Kraftin' Kimmie from last year or maybe the year before.


My inspiration for the layout is from a sketch challenge. I turned the sketch on its side and fudged a little.


I embossed the three items in the scene with different types of embossing powders on a dark blue panel. The cat was the simplest; I double embossed the cat with black detail powder. For the tree, I used one of the Baked Texture powders, Rocky Road. I embossed it four times to build up the texture. I love the effects of the Baked Texture powders. For the moon, I embossed with white gloss and then two layers of glow-in-the-dark which is slightly yellow and semi-transparent when not glowing (the semi-transparent is why I started with white). I used Perfect Medium for the embossing instead of Versamark because Perfect Medium is stickier and that works better with repeated embossing and with the chunkier Baked Texture.


I added the background, ribbon, and scene, popped up with foam mounting tape, to a dark grey panel to both give it a narrow matte and also to add rigidity. I then used a metal punch to make small holes in the layers so I could add brads to hold the charms in place.


I added the completed panel to a black card base.


Inside, I added another patterned paper from the pad as a matte to a dark grey panel stamped with the sentiment kitty.



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Spooky
Feeling Sketchy: Sketch #202
Outlawz Saturday Paper a la Mode: Fall Scene
Outlawz Twisted Thursday: Any Autumn Holiday
Addicted to Stamps and More: Holiday
Watercooler Wednesday: Occasions
Ching-Chou Kuik: Halloween
Art Impressions: Add Embellishments

8 comments:

  1. Wowsers, fabulous card. Love the texture you've built up with the multiple embossed layers.That DSP is a perfect match behind your blue main panel. Thanks for joining in the fun at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week. Tristan DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that little black cat, sitting under the tree, looking at the moon. With just a few images, you've created an effective scene and a mood. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great design, Rijacki! Thanks for joining us at the ATSM Challenge this week. Marsha DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made such a beautiful halloween card. I like the way have you used our sketch :-)) Thanks for playing with us at Feeling Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Halloween card based on our sketch! Thanks for sharing your work with Feeling Sketchy. I hope you'll be inspired by our next sketch too!
    Regards,
    Maja DT at Feeling Sketchy You can visit my blog: Rilcek in Kljuncek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Halloween card. Love the embossed tree. Thanks for playing along with us at Feeling Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card. Thank you for joining the challenge at Feeling Sketchy. Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful card & a great tutorial! The embossing powder look great on the tree. You chose such cool charms to add. Thanks for joining in on the Add Embellishment Challenge on the Art Impressions Blog. Jil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.