01 October 2018

Something Wicked - Through the Craftroom Door, coloured pencil on wood


Spooky still life on wood panel, something wicked this way comes! My project is an inspiration piece for this week's Through the Craftroom Door blog challenge. One of this week's sponsors is Rick St Denis. The prize is 2 images.


Rick St. Dennis MFA has been an artist, designer, stage designer and instructor for over 45 years. You can find his full Bio here. His digital stamp images can be found on Zibbet or Etsy. Inspiration projects from the Rick St. Dennis Elite Design Team can be found on the Sparkle and Glitter blog, or for the darker images on the Airless Chambers blog. Rick also has a personal blog and on Facebook, there is the Rick St.Dennis Digi fans and friends group, where you can showcase your cards and other projects using RSD images to be eligible to win prizes.


Putting It Together

If you want to use a digital stamp on a surface that won't fit in your printer, you need to do something to transfer the printed image to the surface you want to use.



I've had some pretty good results printing on vellum with a bubble jet printer and then using a bone folder to rub the printer ink on the surface, such as the wood I used here. First I flipped the image in Word or any other application I can use to print the image. This is especially important if you have letters or numbers in the image. You should do the rubbing as soon as you print the image, when the ink is still a little damp.


You can even transfer fairly detailed images using this method. I like the look of the wood through the pencils so I didn't pre-treat my wood with any surface treatment.


With my image transferred to the wood panel, I used Prismacolor pencils to colour the image. I started with the skulls


I then went on to the bottles. The wood gives a different sort of texture than paper, but it's still possible to get good blends and shading.


While I colour, I keep track of the pencils I use.


And, now I have a new decoration for my cubical at my day job. I love this time of year!

Challenges

Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
Pearly Sparkles: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
More Mixed Media: Anything Goes
Outlawz Twisted Thursday: Anything Goes

1 comment:

  1. Hello Rijacki How extraordinary is this project ! Love your tutorial too .Awesome colouring and photos
    Hugs Shirley-Anne DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.