01 October 2018

Hippogriff - Sheepski Designs, watercolour pencil


Today is the start of a new month and that means the start of a new challenge on the Sheepski Designs challenge blog! The theme for the month of October is Wings or Fantasy. You don't need to use a Sheepski Designs image, but we do love to see them.

SheepSki Designs Challenge Blog
SheepSki Designs Etsy shop
SheepSki Designs FaceBook group

Putting It Together

Hippogriffs have been my favourite mythological creature since I was a teen and first encountered them. Many years later, I was thrilled to see them in the Harry Potter series and other places. Andrea drew this cute guy on a suggestion from me. Thank you, Andrea! He was so fun to work with.


I used Nuvo watercolour pencils to colour the hippogriff. I like working with watercolour pencils because you can use them like a watercolour with a waterbrush (or just a brush and water) or like coloured pencils and even combine the two techniques. The pencils have different properties when used dry, on wet paper, scribbled on a non-porous surface and picked up with a brush, or used dry and then 'moved' with the wet brush. The paper I used for this project was a lightweight student grade (90lb coldpress) paper from Blick. The thinness of the student grade paper works better with digis because the printer handles it better.


I tried a few different layouts with the hippogriff, but the simple elegant look is what he wanted. I trimmed the panel and rounded the corners then matted it with Graphic 45 paper, and put it on a black card base.


Inside, to make it easier to write a note or personal sentiment, I added a white panel with rounded corners. I also added a strip from the Graphic 45 paper for a nice visual detail.



Supplies



Challenges

Crafty Friends: Fall Colours
Creative Moments: Fall Colours
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
Addicted to Stamps and More: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes
Outlawz Festive Friday: Theme - Anything Goes

2 comments:

  1. I love him Rijacki, he's so perfect, love how you coloured him <3
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice image and beautiful coloured. Thanks for playing along at Crafty Friends Challenge blog. Hugs Ela DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.