11 February 2020

Garden Window - mixed media, stencil, alcohol ink, die cuts


A midnight visitor to the garden flits across the stained glass window of the castle. My mixed media canvas features a panel created with crackle paste and alcohol ink. a Tonic Studios fairy, Crafter's Workshop stencil, Tim Holz dies, paper flowers, Cosmic Shimmer, and Distress Oxides.

Putting It Together

A few months ago I was experimenting with various pastes and alcohol ink using posterboard with a smooth side as the base cut into A2 panels. 


I used a Teresa Collins stencil with crackle paste on a panel of poster board and let it fully dry.


I then added alcohol inks to the panel and was astounded how it interacted with the crackle.


Even the backside was pretty with all the soak through.


And then it went into my box of various experiments and 'backgrounds'.


A 'crackle' challenge got me thinking about the panel and how much it looks like stained glass, so I thought about how to put it on a canvas. I thought a card would be too small to showcase it well. Flowers I got as part of a doorbuster sale came to mind and I thought of a window on a wall in a garden at night.




For the background wall, I used a stencil to add a stony exterior with texture paste and palette knife. I re-used a canvas board that had a failed project. I had to move the 6x6" stencil around to cover the full panel.


When the texture paste was dry, I used a dollar store foam brush to cover the panel with black.


I cut a test with kraft cardstock of a window and liked the shape but wasn't entirely happy about the size.


I cut the frame from black matboard but liked the size more of the full opening, but had to cut the frame. I measured 1 cm on all sides doing a simple curve on the top.


I used a craft knife to cut through the matboard more neatly than scissors.


I painted the frame with Black Soot crackle paint and used the heat tool to dry and crackle it.


I die cut the fairy from heavy black cardstock then used coloured pearl Cosmic Shimmer to add a touch of colour to the dress (using the openings in the die like a stencil) and wings.


I left the rest of the fairy black and silhouette-ish.


When the panel was dry, I did a dry fit adding flowers with the stems clipped off.


I trimmed the edges of the crackle and alcohol ink panel to fit the frame. 


I used Cosmic Shimmer and Distress Oxides on the wall and window frame.


I glued the window to the frame and dry fit it on the wall.


I used another die to cut branches from paper-backed burlap then did another dry fit to see if the branches would work.


I used Peeled Paint on the burlap to make it less bright tan.


I glued the branches to the wall as branches near the wall.


After adding the flowers, I added the fairy with foam mounting tape as a whimsical night visitor to the garden.



Supplies


Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Monday: Crack It Up
Crazy For Challenges: Flight
Outlawz Crash Your Stash: Stencils
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Crafter's Cafe: Anything Goes
Crafty Friends: Anything Goes
More Mixed Media: Anything Goes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.