07 May 2017

S'mores!


Yummy gooey marshmallow with chocolate on a graham cracker, who doesn't like s'mores? And when it's a dragon doing the marshmallow melting, can it get much cooler? A fun stamp set by Your Next Stamp combined with a stencil and Distress Oxide inks.

Supplies



Putting It Together

During my day job lunch this week I decided to do some Youtube watchin' of Oxide techniques 'cause I couldn't be in my workshop and really wanted to be. I can't recall which video it was that sparked my idea for this background and was wrong on whose I thought it was when I went looking to give credit. 

This card is also made from an unsuccessful idea that I tried a couple ways.


I used a blending tool to cover a panel of 85lb soft finish cardstock completely with Faded Jeans Distress Oxide (DO). I intentionally had slightly mottled coverage with some areas darker than others. Since this wasn't going to be a heavily watered technique, I didn't need a cardstock that could stand up to a lot of water and I love the way the Oxide ink glides on to the Elizabeth Craft Designs soft finish cardstock. 

I then lightly spritzed my stencil with a mist of water before laying it on the panel. I laid a paper towel over the stencil and panel to wick away the excess water so it wouldn't puddle and pool in the open areas. This creates a 'ghosted' look with the stencil area lighter than the open areas. You can do this with original Distress, too.


On my first attempt, after heat drying the blue, I stamped pine branches with Peeled Paint DO before adding the misted stencil It looks cook, but I wasn't sure I liked having the green effect on the tree trunks. 


For the next attempt, while the stencil was still in place I carefully heat dried the panel (had to be careful not to heat the stencil's plastic too much) and tried stamping the pine background over the stencil to use it as a mask.


Sadly, I could see the stamping wasn't working. The stencil is too thick as a mask like this, even with multiple stamping. I gave up on this after only stamping one pine and decided to cover it. 

Looking at the photos, and visually comparing the trees between the attempts, I think I had less water on my stencil for the second one or the panel was drier on the first when I put the stencil down. The stencil made a much lighter impression on the first. I want to experiment more.. but on to the rest of this card *laugh*


I decided to use the S'mores dragon to cover the failed tree. I wanted to make a S'mores card and that is why I wanted a night time forest, so this worked well. I stamped the dragon with blue Memento dye ink and did most of the colouring/painting (with waterbrush) using the Distress Oxides I have (I now have 8 of the current twelve *impish grin*). I used Peeled Paint for his main colour.


I used mostly Distress Oxide but augmented with original Distress. 


And then I fussy cut him with a narrow margin. I did some additional trimming in spots after taking this picture *laugh* I fuss over the fussy cutting all the time.


I trimmed down the background panel a little and did a dry fit with a dark blue matte I had handy (but didn't use in the end). He would nicely cover that failed tree.


I matted the panel with a dark blue Recollections value cardstock. I've gotten a lot of colours of this paper, buying mixed pads when they're at least 50% off. Having a variety of colours on hand for matting is nice. 


I used the Misti to stamp the sentiment directly on to the background with black archival ink. I dry fit the dragon to help with placement of the sentiment.


Before adding the panel to the card base, I stamped the inside sentiment. I stamped it with chalk Aegean Blue to have the same feel as the front. 


I used foam mounting tape to add the dragon and give him a bit of dimension. The card is pretty simple and not heavily adorned making it suitable for a guy (though a kid or gal might like it, too). S'mores anyone?




Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: The Great Outdoors
Crafty Friends: Cute
Your Next Stamp: Sketch or Colours
Inspiration Destination: Masculine
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Love to Scrap: Anything Goes

6 comments:

  1. So fun!! That background is really fabulous! And, I agree, what would be better than s'mores cooked by a dragon! : ) Thanks for playing with LTSCB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this image and design! The work you did on the background is amazing! Thanks for sharing your talent at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your lovely crafting for Penny’s challenge 327 – hope to see you again soon – Hazel DT x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute!!!
    Thanks for joining Crafty Friends
    DT Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card :-) I love the dragon, he is adorable and the background and sentiment are perfect, very cute :-)

    Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool background! Great way to combine all the colors from the challenge. Thanks for joining in the fun at YNS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.