28 June 2019

Movies - shadow box, watercolour marker, stencilling


As a change up from cards, I decided to do a shadowbox to put by our TV as an homage to the movies we watch together. The shadowbox features an adorable stamp set and a stencil from Newton's Nook with Distress marker colouring, Liquid Applique for dimension, Kaiserkraft paper, and an Elizabeth Craft Designs die for the frame.


Putting It Together

I have a soft spot for Newton's Nook Designs. With this project, though, I have once more used each NND item in my stash at least once. Woo Hoo!n Now I need to get more *laugh*



I did a dry fit with the frame parts cut and loosely put together (no adhesive) to determine how much I needed to trim.


I unfolded each frame piece and trimmed the flat end to make the frame size perfect for my project. So handy!



I spread Liquid Applique through the stencil on the background cardstock. Liquid Applique is most definitely not an ideal medium for stencilling. It's a bit too liquidy. But I did get it on all the popcorn openings.


I then heat set it for the magic. Liquid Applique expands, puffs up when it's heat dried.


The puffy texture is perfect for the popcorn.


I stamped the movie-going kitties on watercolour paper with light grey ink.


I then coloured them with Distress markers. While I was colouring their seats, I was remembering the Broadway Kino (movie theatre) in Landstuhl, Germany when I lived there in the late 1980s. The main theatre of the Broadway Kino featured plush aqua velvet seats in groups of four with a narrow tray-like table across the seats in front. It was wonderful to have a place to put your drinks and stuff. It also kept the theatre cleaner since no one threw stuff on the floor.


While I was colouring, I decided to use Liquid Applique on the kittie's popcorn, too, for a fun dimensional look.


After poofing up with the heat gun, the popcorn really pops!


I added a bit of Wild Honey to the background popcorn to try to give it a little more dimension.


I put the frame together and did a dry fit after fussy cutting the movie kitties. I was thinking to use the sentiment "Movie Night" as kind of a caption.


I used double-sided tape to adhere the popcorn panel to the popcorn frame. As you can see, the teal background is the flip side of the popcorn paper. When using double-sided tape to add a panel, I snip the release into smaller strips and place them perpendicular to the tape. This lets me get the panel into position before the adhesive bonds the surfaces since it lifts it up just a nudge. When it's in place, press down between the release strips and slide the strips out before firmly pressing all the way around.


To add a little more rigidity to the back, I trimmed a heavy cardstock panel and glued it on. If I planned to give this one away, this would be a good place to write a personal message.


While trying to figure out how to add the sentiment/title card, I remembered that I recently picked up ticket shaped dies. I used the die to trim a ticket shape from pearl cardstock. After adding the sentiment, I used the Vintage Photo marker on the edge.

After cutting the ticket shape, the "Movie Night" sentiment disappeared itself on my table. I wasn't sure this longer sentiment would fit the ticket and was pleased as punch it did. It's a better sentiment for the shadowbox. It was actually my first choice for the sentiment but I was concerned about space.


I added the movie-goers and ticket sentiment with foam mounting tape to complete the shadowbox.


Supplies


Challenges

Inky Paws: Copy Cat - Colour

Crafty Addicts: Cat's Whisker
Addicted to Stamps and More: Make Your Mark
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper: Anything Goes
Outlawz Festive Friday: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes
Creative Moments: Anything Goes

3 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous project! I love that you made a shadow box, and this stamp set is quickly becoming one of my favorites! Thanks for celebrating IPC's 100th challenge! We love seeing your cards! Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a labor of love that paid off. This is an awesome card!! Thanks for playing along at Inky Paws 100th challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is one of the most meaningful information for me. And I'm animated reading your article. But should remark on some general things, the website style is perfect; the articles are great. Thanks for the ton of tangible and attainable help. online anime free

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.