28 June 2019

Cake? - stencilling, watercolour marker


The best part of a birthcake day is the cake!



My birthday card features stencils and stamps from Newton's Nook, Cosmic Shimmer, Nuvo mousse, and Distress markers.

Putting It Together 

Newton's Nook's current challenge is a celebration of their 100th challenge. They have three copy cat (use a previous challenge) and one for your favourite NND product. For my favourite products, I want to showcase the first stamp set I bought and the first stencils I bought because I love them both. 


First the stencil, which is a 2-parter. I used a from Cosmic Shimmer on Stampin' Up cardstock. I love Cosmic Shimmer and picked up the opal polish last weekend. It's gorgeous!


After letting the first stencilling dry, I lined up the second stencil. There are lightly etched diamonds on the second stencil to help with alignment. I use Press and Seal under the cardstock panel to hold it in place and to also help hold the stencil, too, as well as make clean-up easier. I can reuse it a few times until it gets too schmutzy to hold anything.


I used Nuvo mousse to add in the stitched detail of the argyl.


I die cut the fork from glitzy cardstock, stamped on pearl cardstock trimmed with another die, and did a dry layout with a ribbon. Did I mention I got this idea as I was falling asleep pondering my stash? It bugged me each time I woke up and then all day at work and at a small very social gather with my Stampin' Up demonstrator before I could get home and into my craft space!


To give the fork a bit more rigidity and dimension, I die cut a second one from heavy white card stock and stacked them.


Inside, I used Distress markers and the opal paste for a pop of colour on the cake and kitty.


Because of the weight of the ribbon, I used double-sided tape to adhere the stencilled panel. When using double-sided tape, I put snips of the release perpendicular to the tape to give me the ability to position the panel before the adhesive catches and bonds the panel to the cardbase.


Ta-da!




Supplies


Challenges

Seize the Birthday: Cover the Card / Anything Goes
Scrapping 4 Fun: Birthday
Outlawz Festive Fridays: Theme - Birthday
Sketchy Challenge: Ribbon

7 comments:

  1. What a fun birthday card! The little fork is a great embellishment to go along with that cake-lovin' feline! Your background looks fabulous, especially with the gold! Thanks for celebrating IPC's 100th challenge! We love seeing your cards! Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "surprise" of Newton with his cake inside the card. Thanks for playing along at Inky Paws 100th challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stenciled background on your card. The inside is so cute. Thanks so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about cake too! Your background is beautiful! Good Luck and Thank You for joining ua at Scrapping4Fun Challenge Blog. Robin DT Member for Scrapping4Fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card and stenciling
    Thank you for your entry at Scrapping4funChallenges
    Rachelle DT
    https://scrapping4funchallenges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow pretty card beautiful stencil and colors Thanks for joining scrapping4funchallenges Megan Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely card!
    Thank you soo much for taking part in our "ribbon, lace or twine” challenge over at The Sketchy Challenges & good luck in the draw.
    Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well…

    Hugs,
    Melanie
    (DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)

    (DT Crafty Friends)

    (DT The Sketchy Challenges)

    (DT Simply Create Too)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.