24 June 2019

Ballerina - TTCRD, mixed media


This week's sponsor for the Through The Craftroom Door challenge is Gecko Galz!


Gecko Galz is a digital craft products shop that was started by a group of paper artist and designers who wanted products that they could not find anywhere else. They wanted to bring their love of paper arts and altered art works to others and inspire them with beautiful papers, stamps and ephemera. The idea of Gecko Galz came to fruition in 2012 when they opened their shop on Etsy and since then have offered hundreds of products, ideas and classes to others 
https://www.etsy.com/shop/geckogalz
http://geckogalzscrapbooking.blogspot.com/

For my inspiration project, I decided to use the Ballerina Girls collage sheet to make a mixed media plaque using a Kaisercraft frame, chipboard filigree from Southern Ridge Trading Company, paints and waxes from Prima and Ranger, Nuvo drops, a Tim Holtz wing, and beaded stick pins.


Putting It Together

Sometimes I just have to do something a bit mixed media-ish.



The collage sheet has several lovely ballerinas. I decided to crop to just the one and re-size it to print on 4" x  6" glossy photo paper. I had printed the full sheet on glossy paper as well while I was deciding what to do for my project.


I did a layout with various items from my stash to begin my design. I added to this as I went and left off an item, too. I think it's pretty cool how the curve of the wing fits her back so perfectly.


I trimmed the image and used the distress tool to rough up the edges.


I further distressed the edges with Vintage Photo Distress ink with a blender tool on the edges. 


I decided to use a fine burlap sheet from a Tim Holtz texture surface pack. I wanted to give it a bit of character, so I stencilled with Distress ink. The fabric is backed with adhesive which made it easy to add to the back of the frame.


I added the chipboard to the frame and covered the slot holes with coffee filter and painted it with a couple coats of Ranger black crackle paint. I let the black dry to create fine crackles and texture.


I used Prima metallique to cover the frame which made it too gold. 


I then used Prima wax paste in my favourite Fire Ruby.


The frame was too bright so I used black Gilders paste to tone it down. Then I added Vintage Gold wax paste from Prima to highlight. 


This was a good time for a dry fit to see where to go. I decided to leave off the corner bits but otherwise was pleased with the direction this was going. I really like doing frames. 


To add some dimension to the picture, I used Nuvo drops to accent her outfit and other items. 


I used a few different drops on her corset, jewelry, flower crown, and sceptre.


I decided to add in a jewellery element 'cause I have lots of beads and things and really should use them more often. Plus, a "stick pin" challenge had just started and I thought one, or two, would look good with this project. I built up the stick pins using a variety of beads using the amber and green colours in the image. 


One more dry fit before starting to put it together. 


I used double-sided tape to assemble the frame.


I decided the silver of the wing didn't match in well enough, so I used Vintaj patina ink and a shop towel to add antique gold. 


I used double sided tape to add the image and glue dots for the stick pins, flower, and wing. I added Doodlebug BonBon gemstones. I'll be so sad when I run out of those golden brown gems. They were an impulse clearance item purchase supplemented with a Tuesday Morning purchase.


Join us in the Anything Goes challenge at Through the Craftroom Door!

Challenges

Outlawz Crash Your Stash: Stick Pins
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes
Creative Moments: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Love to Scrap: No Rulz 3
More Mixed Media: Anything Goes

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful project, love all the textures and colours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.