12 June 2019

Rainbow Blizzard - embossing resist, shaker. embossing on acetate


For a fun shaker card, I decided to go a bit out of the box and use a winter stamp set for a non-wintery love fest card. I made a Distress ink rainbow with embossing resist using snowflakes from Newton's Nook! To me, "If snowflakes were kisses, I'd send you a blizzard" is the perfect love sentiment year 'round. Let it snow!

Putting It Together

I found this wonderful snowflake stamp set at a recent garage sale hosted by a local scrapbooking store. I was thrilled to find it and one other since the only local store that sold Newton's Nook shuttered a few months ago. Now I'll only be able to get them online since the other two local shops have declined to carry them. It makes me sad that I can't buy them locally now unless it's in a destash.



I got the We R Memory Keepers stamp positioner a couple months ago with the thought it would be great for background stamping including shifting. I placed my panel of cardstock in the middle on a sheet of Sizzix sticky grid. I flipped the acrylic top and placed my stamps on the lower half of the cardstock. Since I planned to stamp and then flip the positioner, this was the easiest way to place the stamps.


I stamped the top and then flipped 180 degrees to stamp the bottom using clear embossing ink.


I embossed the snowflakes with white pearl. The pearl is just slightly shimmery which I thought would look great with the resist.


To blend my rainbow, I used a makeup brush (like the "Life Changing" brushes at a fraction of the cost) my friend recently gave me to try. I cleaned the brush between each colour on a damp cloth. The brush is amazingly soft and is easily cleaned which impressed me. But, for blending, my life wasn't changed. For this kind of colour change, it performed well, but not earth-shatteringly wonderful.


However, when I used the brush over the whole panel to wipe away the excess ink from the embossing and shine up the snowflakes, this brush was amazing. This was fast and easy and did a fantastic job. I discovered this function accidentally. I swiped over with an inkless brush to smooth the blend a bit between the colours and saw how it was cleaning the embossing so continued. This is now my go-to tool for this function alone. That changed my life *laugh*


I did a dry fit with a frame die and a sentiment from the stamp kit using a shaker dome that pairs with the frame die. My attempt to stamp on that dome failed so I had to build my own shaker box instead.


I cut a panel of heat resistant acetate to fit the frame and then embossed the sentiment with white. Not sure why, but the white embossing spread and the words were indistinct, so, to save it, I stamped over the embossing with red Stazon. I got the red a bit offset 'cause I didn't get the acetate into exactly the same position, but I think that actually looks better. I used Stazon because it sticks to plastic and that's what embossing is.


I used the frame die to cut a glittery blue cardstock and did a dry fit of the frame, acetate, and rainbow snowflakes.


I squished the frame die into very thick foam to make lines to show me where I needed to cut. I adhered the frame to the acetate as the bottom (top) layer, then added the foam frame with thin double-sided tape. After adding more double-sided tape to the foam frame, I filled the well with Nuvo confetti.


I flipped the rainbow panel and added it to the back of the shaker box. When using double-sided tape, I snip bits of the release and turn it perpendicular to the tape to help with positioning. The release helps keep the tape from instantly fully sticking to the item you're placing on it.


I added the shaker box to the white card base with tape runner.


Inside, I used the edges of the mini pads to add the rainbow of ink to the stamps to carry the colours inside for a fun detail.



Supplies


Challenges

Inky Paws: Rainbow
Love to Scrap: No Rulz
Outlawz Festive Friday: Theme - Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Creative Moments: Anything Goes


2 comments:

  1. Great idea of white embossing the snowflakes on the rainbow background! Fabulous shaker card! So glad you shared with us at Inky Paws! Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a fun background! Thanks for joining us for this Inky Paws Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.