13 June 2019

Hip-Hippo-ray - shaped widow card, ink watercolouring, stencilling


Hip-Hippo-Ray, it's your birthday! Let's celebrate with candles and a hippo dance! My shaped window card features stamps and inks from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps and dies from Simon Says Stamp and Sizzix.

Putting It Together

I love the monthly Krafty Klub kit. It's fun getting a mystery package filled with goodies. For the June kit, Kim added an extra bonus item. I got some more of the wonderful birthday patterned paper from Pink Paisley. I couldn't resist using the birthday candles for this card. 


The Krafty Klub kit always includes a stamp set for the new release, an ink, a stencil, and some dots (more dots!). The June kit included the very cute Hip-Hippo-ray stamp set and Salty Sea ink which I used on this project along with the Wonderful Waves stencil and Underwater Dots. If you want to see more of the stamp set and the other goodies, wander over to the Kraftin' Kimmie Blog for the sneak peek blog hop. The items in the June Krafty Klub Kit, as well as the rest of the June release, will be available on Saturday.



I got this idea while I was at my day job and didn't have enough information to know if it would work. I didn't have the size of the hippos in the set so I wasn't entirely sure one would fit. I was so happy, when I got home, to see that it would. I decided to make this a little boy card by using the cute boy hippo.


I die cut the card base by having the hinge just below one of the edges of the die. I cut a full circle for the candle paper. To add the cut-out window, I used repositionable adhesive to temporarily adhere the patterned paper to the card base. I then used a simple circle die to cut through both layers on the front.


I die cut the birthday ring from a bright red glitter cardstock (that doesn't shed) to finish off my die cutting.


I did one more dry fit with the stamp to see the idea coming together.


On the inside, since I wanted the window area to be white, I used the circle from cutting the card front as a mask, keeping it in place with a repositionable adhesive.


I used Purple Tape to mask off the underside of the card front and then used the Lots o' Dots stencil from last month's kit and release.


I shifted my stencil a few times and added several colours including the new Salty Sea.


I stamped the adorable boy hippo with Granite Grey and then used a waterbrush with Salty Sea, Ruby Red, and Granite Grey, to add a bit of colour to the hippo. I adhered the candle paper to the front of the card and used a glue pen to add the birthday ring.


Inside, I added a sentiment in Ruby Red, along with candles in the other colours.


Everything Kimmie used in the card. 



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Inky Challenges: #1- Coloured Stamping
Crafty Friends: Men or Boys
Outlawz Sunday Songs and Rhymes: Shapes
Seize the Birthday: Anything Birthday
Watercooler Wednesday: Occasions
Tuesday Throwdown: Shaped Card
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper: Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. Hello… Thanks for sharing your card with us. It’s so lovely and fits perfectly with our ‘Men/Boys’ theme … It will certainly brighten someone's day!
    Diane Louise
    [Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun card is this! Realy nice put together. Thanks for entering it at Crafty Friends. Hugs Ela DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for this releaae...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun card! Those hippos are adorable! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so struggle with any card other than the typical A2 size! This is really a fun design and so well done! So happy you joined us at Seize the Birthday this time around.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.