21 February 2020

Happy Hummingbirds - watercolour, masking, stencilling, interactive


My card today is a birthday card featuring stamps, inks, and a stencil from Kraftin' Kimmie stamps, watercolour markers from Color It, and iridescent watercolours from Cosmic Shimmer. Happy Hummingbirds is from the February release from Kraftin' Kimmie and I simply adore this set.


This card is interactive with a retired tab die from CC Designs. Pull on the heart to fly the hummingbird over to the flowers.

Putting It Together

I made this card with my mom in mind. My parents loved seeing the hummingbirds in their yard when they were living in California.


I did a dry layout of the stamps with the die set on a Bristol panel to see how it would fit together.


I decided to use that Bristol panel to stamp the images with Totally Taupe. I used masking to create groups of flowers from the single flower stamps.


I used Color It watercolour markers on the flowers and Cosmic Shimmer iridescent watercolours on the hummingbird because they're so wonderfully shimmery iridescent in life.


I fussy cut the flowers and bird adding a second stamped bird to stack with the painted one to make it more rigid.


I used a panel of Neenah solar white to stencil the background using the Scenery 1 stencil from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps and two inks.


I trimmed the background panel and did another dry fit to make sure the flower stack wouldn't interfere with the pull tab. I also decided on a kraft card base to frame the scene.


I die-cut the channel and tab while holding my breath that this would all work great in the end. I die-cut the other pieces from scrap pearl and silver.


The pull piece stays on the back with just little pieces at the end wrapped around to the front. A couple pieces at the end both hold the slider in place and act as a stopper. I added a heart on each side of the slide.


You can see the small square of the slider on the front side, the spot for the moving object to adhere.


I added a sentiment on the front before finishing putting it all together. The flowers are adhered flat and the bird had a small square of foam mounting tape to make sure he floats along the path easily.


Inside, I stamped the birthday cheer and another hummingbird with a flowering branch.




Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: KKS Critter
Outlawz Sunday Songs & Rhymes: Birds and Bees
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Add a Sentiment
Crafty Gals: Add a Heart
Penny's Paper-Crafty: Anything Goes

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous creation! Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Gals Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hummingbird wishes, so beautiful!! Your coloring is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.