23 February 2020

Jo's Daffodil's Wrap Journal & Wallet - foil on faux leather


I love the versatility of digis. I used 3 sizes of Sheepski Designs Jo's Daffodils to make 3 items each foiled using a Cricut Maker. The faux leather wrap journal is from a Sizzix/Eileen Hull die, and the faux leather wallet is from a Cricut project.

Jo's Daffodils is being offered as a freebie at Kit and Clowder this week.

SheepSki Designs Challenge Blog
SheepSki Designs Etsy shop
SheepSki Designs FaceBook group


Putting It Together

As the old saying goes, when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail. I got a Cricut Maker and Foil Quill for my birthday (12 Feb) and want to use it on everything! or at least experiment with using it on a variety of things. 

Check out the main blog post for this trio of projects for more information on how I converted the JPG digital stamp into a transparent background PNG and how I made the watercolour.


I had and idea brewing so I looked for a local fabric store and found a candy shop. This is just one of the aisles. Floor to ceiling fabric-y goodness. I hadn't been fabric shopping for a few years but used to do costuming and other fabric arts. I seriously need more hours in the day to do all the crafty and creative things I love. I found a lovely faux leather at a reasonable price and picked up 1/2 metre. 


I used a Big Shot Plus with the Bigz XL die to cut the wrapped journal from the faux leather I got at a local fabric store. I then put it on the Cricut mat.


I cut a piece of the foil to cover the cover of the wrapped journal and used washi tape on all four sides.


I used the Cricut Maker with Foil Quill to 'draw' on the faux leather and foil.

After removing the foil sheet, I used a soft brush to wipe away any loose foil. 


I love the look of the matte gold on the dark red faux leather but thought the wrapped journal was just a bit.. well.. floppy. 

Looking for something to cut with my new Maker, I perused the Cricut projects in the Design Space for one which would work with the faux leather and that I could also foil with the daffodils. 


I wasn't brave enough, this time, to modify the project and add addition cut and draw steps, so I cut the faux leather first, then the lining. 


The lining is a 'flawed' charmeuse satin from the fabric store that cost a song ($1.99 Canadian per yard. I picked up a yard). I actually like the 2 tone-ness for the lining. I glued the lining to the faux leather with Gorilla Glue. When it was fully dry, I tried using a flame wand to seal the edges of the lining with limited success. The glue works, too, to keep it from ravelling. 

I prepped the wallet for foiling, putting it on a mat and covering the area with a foil sheet.


I set up the draw using the lines on the mat and in the Design Space to position the daffodils.


I selected a button from my stash of antique buttons.


I used a craft knife to cut the slit for the button.


I marked the button position with a pen through the slit.


I used a beading needle and Fireline to sew on the button 'cause that's what I have on hand. No clue where my fabric needles are right now or thread *laugh*. To give the button more strength, I used a button on the inside to distribute the pull from the button on the outside.


The brushed gold button looks perfect with the matte foiling.


I used some Gorilla Glue to hold the sides and clamped them while it dried. 


Then I turned back to the journal. I wanted to add lining and a bit of stiffness. I die-cut recycled cardboard with the journal die then trimmed a little off each side. I cut a piece of the satin to be bigger than the cardboard. 


I used the Gorilla Glue to adhere the satin to the cardboard, trimming the corners on the fabric.


After the fabric-covered cardboard dried, I used more glue to adhere it to the inside of the faux leather. Once it dried again, I used rubber cord to add the cords for the signatures. I kept the lacing simple.


I made a hole in the middle of the lacing side and threaded a cord loop through to wrap around a button closure.


I was so happy to find a slightly larger brushed gold button in my stash to match the look of the wallet. I used the double button technique again.


Supplies

1 comment:

  1. Wow amazing project Rijacki, love how creative you are <3
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.