01 January 2020

Oliver & Olivia - Sheepski Designs, alcohol ink on Gel Press with Nuvo alcohol markers


A new year and a new month! I am happy to still be a designer for Sheepski Designs. This month's blog challenge is Square Cards. For my inspiration project, I used Oliver and Olivia, pairing them with an alcohol ink background created with a Gel Press and Nuvo alcohol marker colouring.

SheepSki Designs Challenge Blog
SheepSki Designs Etsy shop
SheepSki Designs FaceBook group

Putting It Together

I printed a few backgrounds with the Gel Plate while trying to get the look I wanted for the background. If you want to see them all, and how this particular one fits in, check out the post I wrote: Gel Press with Alcohol Ink.


In short, I used hand sanitizer spread on a Gel Plate with three alcohol inks dribbled on: Cloudy Blue, Pool, and Citrus. The white sheet under the ink and plate is a placement reference. The Marker paper I used for the print was trimmed to 5" x 7", the same as the sheet under the ink and plate.


The print is fresh off the plate and still wet. The hand sanitizer makes the ink dry much more slowly allowing a lot more time to work with it. The Marker paper absorbs some of the ink but not deeply.


I printed the image directly on to the dried background. At this point I didn't know if I would be able to use the markers over the alcohol ink background.


I used Nuvo alcohol markers to colour the image with an accent in the eyes of Sharpie paint pen. There were some interesting interactions between the alcohol makers and the background. I'm not sure if it was the hand sanitizer or the alcohol inks. However, I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Most definitely a successful experiment.


I was a little sad to trim away the background to a square but like how the composition turned out. I added a dark brown foiled matt and added the image to a black card base.


Inside, I used some of the leftover background with a near square of ivory to compliment the front and have a convenient place to write a personal message.



Supplies


Challenges

Watercooler Wednesday: Anything Goes
Outlawz Festive Friday: Theme-Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Creative Moments: Anything Goes
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes

4 comments:

  1. Wopnderful work Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge atThrough The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge. Good luck Ginny
    My Blog As I do Rodos

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable are you owls Kate? Thanks for sharing how you made your background, which is perfect behind your owls. Thanks for joining us at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge. Tristan DT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you were sad to chop some of that amazing background off. Awesome experiment, I love your creativity <3
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and creative!! The dark backing paper really making the image pop!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Penny's, and good luck with your entry! :)

    ~ DT Saphron
    Lemon Biscuit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.