30 January 2020

Valentine - embossing resist, Shimmer Powder, embossing


Valentine to express love. My card combines two Kraftin' Kimmie sets, embossing, emboss resist, Nuvo Shimmer Powders, and vellum.


Putting It Together

I love Shimmer Powders but don't use them often enough. I will admit to having quite a stash of various 'colourants', i.e. things that will add colour. I just need to find more time in the day to work with them all as much as I want ;-)




To make the background, I started with the first of the stamp sets, a long-retired set with candy hearts and the types of words that would be on them. I stamped them semi-randomly on watercolour cardstock with Clear Mark and embossed them with pearl. I wanted them to have a slightly silvery look with the resist.


I wet the panel and added shimmer powder, Cherry Bomb and Catherine's Wheel, as well as a few more spritzes of water. Even with heavy watercolour paper, it curled with all the wet but it will flatten out when it dries, so no issue.


I pounced the areas of puddled pigment with a cotton makeup pad and transferred it too other spots that didn't have as much. I also lifted the pigment from the embossing to move around.


I then used my heat tool to dry the surface. Even though I intended to make an A2 (4 1/4" x 5 1/2") card, I used a 6" x 6" surface so I could choose the best looking area for my background.


I embossed the front sentiment on vellum with gold. I dry fit the vellum strip across the trimmed background to see if it would work and what more I needed.


I distressed the edges of the background and chose a foiled mat to set it off. I added retired Stampin' Up lace to the edges of the vellum strip and added everything to a white card base.


Inside, I stamped another sentiment with the new Crisp Crimson then embossed it with clear gloss. I trimmed a strip of the scrap from the background to add to the bottom 'cause I just couldn't throw it away.



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Love/Friendship
Outlawz Sunday Songs & Rhymes: Silly Love Songs
Simon Says Stamp Monday: All Loved Up
Watercooler Wednesday: Occasion
Try It On Tuesday: Colourful Grunge
Incy Wincy: Anything Goes

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful card! Love that background and this is such romantic card too! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card Kate. Love how you created that background. Thanks for joining us this week at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge. Tristan DT.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.