23 May 2019

O Canada - ink colouring, shaker


Canada Day is the first of July. Like Independence Day in the US, it's celebrated with picnics, BBQs, and fireworks. Snapshots of fun! I've been living in Canada for nearly seven years now and love living here. I gleefully celebrate both Canada Day and Independence Day, starting July with a bang!

My card features stamps, inks, and stencil from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps embellished with die cuts and shaker fireworks with holographic paper and sequins.

Let's Celebrate!

Putting It Together

It's easy to find stuff that's US-oriented, less so for Canadian. I am always looking for stuff with Canada. I found this paper a few months ago and am happy with it. 


For my image panel, I used masking. I stamped the image on to watercolour paper and masking paper.


I fussy cut the masking paper and put it over top of the stamping on the watercolour paper. I usually do the background first when masking.


I used blender sponge tools with a stencil to add in the background. For the grass, I used the lighter, brighter green first then, with flicks up, used the texture of the sponge for a grass-like look with the olive-y colour.


I used other sides of the stencil to add in the clours with the blues. After taking off the mask, I have an image ready to colour.


I used a waterbrush and Kimmie inks to colour the stamped image. I have just the white sheet from the Tim Holtz glass mat, squishing the ink mini on it and picking up the colours with a waterbrush. Because it's a quick-drying hybrid ink, I have to clean thoroughly between colours. I used stamp cleaner as well as water to clean the brush.


I was determined to use the red maple leaf paper as a background and debated between a square card and A2. I decided to use two frames for the image and shaker fireworks.


I die cut black glitzy cardstock for the frames and did a dry fit with the image.


I trimmed the image and the holographic fireworks cardstock to fit the frames and did a dry fit.


For the shaker chamber, I used the die to cut a very thick foam from Spellbinders.


I trimmed a bit of clear plastic packaging to fit behind the black frame. I used double-sided tape to adhere it to the frame.


I used double-sided tape to adhere the holographic background to the foam and then added in holographic gear sequins. I like the edges on them like firework blossoms.


With the plastic and frame adhered to the foam, I have self-contained shaker which can be adhered as a single piece to the card.


I did a dry fit of the two frames on the A2 background, adding a sentiment. I liked the placement better for the sentiment on the A2 than the square.


I embossed the sentiment directly on the background and adhered everything to a white card base.


Inside, I used one of the 'cards' from the paper pad for the sentiment.




Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin Kimmie Stamps: Holiday Inspired
Outlawz Saturday Paper A La Mode: Patriotism
Watercooler Wednesday: All About Occasions
Crafter's Cafe: Tag or Shaker
Simon Says Stamp Monday: Use Stencils
Tuesday Throwdown: Stencilling
Addicted to Stamps and More: Make Your Mark
Try It On Tuesday: Let's Party

9 comments:

  1. Awesome card. Thanks for the step through on making it. You certainly put a lot of effort into it.
    Thanks for joining us at The Crafters Cafe.
    Narelle DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a creative card, Kate!!! Love the idea of using holographic paper for the inside of the shaker element!!! How clever to create an "Oh, Canada" card for our occasions challenge! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific cars, Kate. I love the shaker part. Thank you for joining us at TioT. Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a brilliant make! Magical!
    Thank you very much for joining in at Try It On Tuesday! Susi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really great card. I like shaker cards and thanks for showing us how you made yours. Thanks also for joining us at try It On Tuesday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fun card, Kate! What's not to love about a shaker card, especially when combined with that cute little image! Thanks so much for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous card...and a good reason to celebrate too! Thank You for joining us in our celebrations at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fantastic celebration card, the detail looks super. Thank you for sharing this with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing colouring! Thanks for sharing it with us at Addicted to Stamps and More and we hope to see more of your beautiful cards soon! Hugs, Gwendolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.