03 May 2019

Koala-ty Birthday - watercolour marker, stencilling, texture


A happy Koala with a cupcake is here to wish you a Koala-ty Day for your birthday! My card features stamps, inks, and a stencil from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps with Kelly Creates watercolour markers.

Putting It Together

When I have time, I like experimenting with different supplies to make backgrounds. I'll usually a photographic record of what I did so I can repeat it or avoid it or just add it to a post when I use it. I made the background for this a day or two after I got the stencil. 



I combined transparent gloss medium with Kraftin' Kimmie re-inkers and spread them through the Sprinkles stencil with a Prima silicone brush for texture and bright party colours.


With the stencil removed, I added a bit more zazz with Nuvo mica mist. When it was dry, I put it in my background stash for another day.


The current Kraftin' Kimmie challenge is texture so I thought of my Sprinkles background. I thought it would make a fun birthday card. I looked in my stash of Kimmie stamps and this cute Koala begged to join the party. Since I hadn't used him yet since buying him so many moons ago, it was perfect.


I stamped the koala with his cupcake on watercolour cardstock with Marvelous Mocha.


I then used Kelly Creates watercolour brush markers and a waterbrush to colour the image. Evernote reminded me that this was the first time using these markers in a project.


I decided to use an octagon die to trim the koala and a sentiment panel, stamping a sentiment from another stamp set. I thought it would be more character than circles.


I used some Kimmie inks and a blender tool to add some colour to the edges of the octagons.


I rounded the corners on the Sprinkles background and added everything to a kraft card base. The kraft colour compliments the colours nicely and accents the koala.


Inside, I used a sentiment from the Koala set with foliage from another set I hadn't used before either.



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Texture
Seize the Birthday: Texture
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Happy Birthday
Outlawz Festive Friday: Theme - Birthday
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes

2 comments:

  1. Kate: your card is utterly charming! I like the unusual edge cuts for your sentiment and focal image! And I liked reading how the background paper was made (I had assumed you bought it!). Overall, terrific card! Thanks for sharing at PPCC blog this week. Becca ~DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful birthday card Rijacki! The background you've created looks fabulous and the koala is super cute.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.