11 July 2020

Long In the Tooth - gouache, stencilling



My card today features one of the new stamp sets and stencil from the July Kraftin' Kimmie release which is available today! I used gouache to paint the images and added a bit of Nuvo glitter drops to the stencilling. 

Putting It Together

The stamp set and stencil are from July Krafty Kit. The no obligation monthly Krafty kit always has items that will be in the new release of the named month, as a preview of the release: one stamp set, one stencil, one set of enamel dots, and an ink pad or ink cube.


July's Krafty Kit's stencil is full of shells. I immediately wanted to use it. I used the light tan, Crumb Cake, from Stampin' up with Sandy Shore ink from the June release for a tone on tone. 


For a bit of tone one tone sparkle, I added Nuvo Honey Gold glitter drops as a spread with the silicon spatula using Press and Seal to hold the stencil in place. 


The drops as a schmear add just the right amount of depth, dimension, and a tiny bit of sparkle. 


I decided to go with water-based paint on an odd watercolour paper. I used the Arteza guache paints my friend had daubbed for in a palette. With the one guache set, my friend made several palettes to share with her friends. The large daubs will last since a little paint goes a long way. I stamped the images with Sandy Shore and used a waterbrush on Dina Wakely watercolour paper. In my mind, the walrus is laying on the beach as they do. I also saw the bird as a sand piper. 

I mentioned the paper is a bit odd. By that I mean it's... umm.. floppy. It's cotton and made to resemble handmade paper with a not entirely consistent texture. It's a PITA to cut with a guillotine, crisp cut some times and tear otherwise. It also pills with even a moderate amount of water. The lift and blend also wasn't like cotton watercolour paper. I won't get it again. (I recently discovered I have about two dozen different watercolour papers as I have explored how they're different and how paper changes the art.)


I used a Kat Scrapiness stamp set to trim the images and a sentiment panel. I used a dark kraft for the card base, sentiment panel, and under the image panels. 


Inside, I used a blender brush to add soft stencilling of shells for a background to the sentiment. 



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie June Jubilee: The Colour Brown

3 comments:

  1. Love the card. Thank you for walking us through your process

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great card! Thank you, I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.