28 September 2019

Cupcake Cutie detail - KKS, alcohol ink, stencilling, coloured pencil


For the month of September, I am a Guest designer on the Kraftin' Kimmie design team! Today is Saturday and the new blog challenge at Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps. The theme this week is Use One or More Stencil. Sadly, it's also the last Saturday of the month so the last week of my guesting with the team. 

For more information about the challenge and to see the inspiration by the rest of the design team, check out my main post: https://rijacki.blogspot.com/2019/09/cupcake-cutie-kraftin-kimmie-stamps.html.


Putting It Together


I have loved being a guest on the Kraftin' Kimmie design team this month. It was a great experience. 

This card is a bunch of experiments, some that worked and a couple not so much. I started on the background panel late in the evening then picked it up the next day, then left the project another day to change out an element that wasn't making me happy. 



I recently picked up some Brea Reese alcohol ink to give them a try and see how they contrast to the other two I have, Ranger and Pinata.  The pink of this trio is more like a Hot Pink when it is alone, but with the other two it calms down and is quite lovely. All three colours work wonderfully together. I used Ranger alcohol ink surface non-glossy paper and the Distress ink spritzer to blow it all around.


I wanted to try some stencil ideas with the panel. I first tried alcohol on a cotton makeup pad to lift colour using the So Many Circles stencil.


This technique would probably work a lot better on Yupo. On this surface, it was super subtle.


So, as another idea, I used a sponge pad on a blending tool. I added a few drops of Pinata copper and a lot of alcohol. Then I pounced the thinned copper on through the So Many Circles stencil.


The copper is translucent-ish until the light hits it directly, then it shines back fiercely. I might have had just a bit too much alcohol cause it did smush/leak a bit under the stencil. And then I had to go to bed.


The next day, I had a thought about the circles and decided to add Posca paint pen. I used the So Many Circles stencil again to draw circles and filled some of the middle-size ones with lines and small ones completely.


Very trippy almost 60-ish look. I was really happy with how it looks both when the light hits it directly and from the side.


Not sure what in the background made me think of cupcakes or if it was just that I had a sweet-tooth craving, but I dry fit a die sentiment and the stamp to see if the idea would fit.


I stamped the image on kraft-coloured Mi Teintes and coloured it with Faber Castel Classic pencils. I wasn't completely sold on the colouring I did but...


I went ahead and fussy cut her and added her to the card. And really hated it. The colours on the image were coming off as muddy ugh. My colouring wasn't horrible but also not my best. I was not happy. But I liked the idea of her and I liked the sentiment and I liked the inside.. and...


The next day I decided I needed to re-do her. I stamped her with Party Peach on creamy Mi Teintes. The contrast of the ink was easier to see and would still let me do "no lines".


This time I went with my trust tried-and-try Prismacolours. I have a wider range of colours and the really do blend better. I also stayed with colours in the background to make the two more cohesive together.


I fussy cut the new image and was so much happy with her added to the card.



Inside, I used a blending brush to lightly add Kimmie inks using the So Many Circles stencil shifting the stencil between each colour. I chose colours similar to the ones in the alcohol ink background.


I added sentiments from the stamp set with Wicked Black.




For more information about the challenge and to see the inspiration by the rest of the design team, check out my main post: https://rijacki.blogspot.com/2019/09/cupcake-cutie-kraftin-kimmie-stamps.html.

Supplies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.