02 September 2019

Birthday Sparkle - TTCRD, glitter and flocking on adhesive


This week's sponsor for the Through the Craftroom Door's challenge is Stix 2! The prize is a selection of their products.
Based in the North East of England, Stix2 supplies craft shops around the world, making many of our products on our premises. We have 100’s of different types of adhesives, tapes, glues, PVA’s, hot glue, foam pads to suit everyone’s preference. And then we have a whole host of ancillary products to go with them, you can see the full range at www.stix2.co.uk.

https://www.stix2.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/Stix2Anything/

For my card, I used three types of adhesive, glitter, and flocking, to create a sparkly birthday cake card.


Putting It Together

I like using glitter and flocking but always want to minimize the mess. Using an adhesive sheet or wide double-sided tape on cardstock is the least messy way to get all the sparkle and fuzzy texture with minimal mess. I used flocking from Glitters Galore (formerly Sparkle N Sprinkle), glitters from Wow and Cosmic Shimmer, a die set from Sizzix, and sentiment die from Elizabeth Craft Designs.



For a shaped card, start with the card base scored and folded in the middle. The die, without the candles, makes an A2 (4 1/4" x 5 1/2") card so I started with a strip 4 1/2" x 11" for a tall card with a top fold.


With the card base folded, put the die so the fold is just below the cut line. This die is designed as a card maker so has directions right on the die to indicate where to put the fold.


Here you can see the shaped card base along with the full cut to cover the front as a matt and all the decorative bits with adhesive sheet applied before I die cut.


Applying the glitter or flocking is easy peasy. Remove the adhesive sheet then dump on the glitter or flocking. Brush off the excess, then burnish or rub it into the adhesive with your fingers. It also works for gilding flake. To minimize the mess, I use a shallow box with a sheet of dry Swiffer (which catches and holds the bits) and a coffee filter. The coffee filter allows me to dump on a bunch and then pour the excess back into the bottle. With a very full flocking bottle, you might need to stop half-way on pouring it back to tap the bottle and settle the fluff to pour the rest in.


To make the candles two colour, I only partly remove the release paper from the bottoms to add the Clarabelle Wow glitter.


After burnishing in the purple and removing the excess, I took the release off the flames and added Coral Red from Cosmic Shimmer.


I dry fit the cake parts. The glitter I used for the plate was too dark so I decided not to use it.


I die cut a new plate from patterned paper then began the assembly. The flocked cake layers are Petal Soft from Glitters Galore.


I then added the flocked frosting decorations which are Sparkling Sea from Glitters Galore.


I decided to add a die-cut sentiment so cut a sentiment from Elizabeth Craft designs three times. I stacked the dies with liquid adhesive and used liquid adhesive to add the glitter to remind myself how much of a mess glitter with liquid adhesive is, but the adhesive sheet I have was too thick with the cardstock I was using to get a full cut through. In hindsight, I should have die-cut a thinner top layer with an adhesive sheet and stacked it with the heavier cardstock to have a much easier and less messy glittering.


Since I added the cake parts to a full cut of the front, it was easy to just add that to the shaped card base with tape runner.  The candles make this card a lot taller than A2, but they're just too cool. I doubled up the candles with a plain die-cut to give them a bit more rigidity to stand up so high. The sparkle is over the top and the fuzzy flocking is a fun texture.


Inside, to match the sentiment on the front, I used a stamp set from Elizabeth Craft Designs.




Challenges

Seize the Birthday: Anything Goes
Crazy 4 Challenges: Shape Up
Outlawz Monday Greetings: Layers
Creative Moments: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes

1 comment:

  1. Sparkle Photo Effects is a user friendly app, you can select the picture from gallery and brush the area on which you want to add sparkle effect, photo focus, shimmer effect, glitter effect, twinkle effects. sparkle effect

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.