09 April 2018

Rainy Days - Through the Craftroom Door, digital paper, paper piecing


This card is my inspiration project for this week's Through the Craftroom Door challenge. Our sponsor this week is Décosse's Dynamite Doodles.


Are you interested in digital sentiments, papers and other embellishments? How about a badge made especially for your blog? If these are items you are interested in, you are going to want to check out Décosse's Dynamite Doodles. My name is Lisa and with over 150+ posts of freebies to choose from, and new ones added often, I just might have what you are looking for. Along with the freebies I offer, I also create blog badges, digital paper packs and scrapbooking kits. Additionally, I'm so excited to now be sponsoring giveaways and challenges at other blogs. It is my honour to be able to sponsor this challenge for Through the Craftroom Door!
So, if you have the time, come and take a look. There is always inspiration to be found among my many different features. I'd love for you to pop by and visit me. I hope you have a blast!
http://decossesdynamitedoodles.blogspot.ca/

The challenge this week is Anything Goes. The winner, by random draw, will have a choice of specific kits and papers specially chosen by Lisa: Flower Power kit, Mommy Dearest kit, Chasing Rainbows and Colours of the Rainbows (36 papers total), or the Colours of the Rainbows and Rainy Days (also 36 papers total). Come join the challenge at Through the Craftroom Door.

Putting It Together

It's raining here, again. I actually really like rain, but it's been a bit too rainy this year, again. So... I look for rainbows.


For my project, I used two of the papers from the Rainy Days set. Rainy Days has a lot of wonderful papers but I chose to use the umbrellas and rainbows. 


I started with printing the two papers. I wanted the rainbows to be relatively small so I sized them smaller on my page in Word. The umbrella paper is approximately 6" x 6". I intended to only print on Core'dinations white pearl (on the right) but my printer decided I should have it on Artist's Loft watercolour, too. The paper the digi is printed on can add a lot of character. It's one of the reasons I like digi paper with the other being the ability to resize to fit the project.


I wanted a rainbow umbrella, but don't have an umbrella die (yet). So, I used a stamp from a Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps set, You Are My Sunshine. After I stamped the image, I fussy cut it.


I started with black archival ink on the watercolour paper, then Pacific Point blue from Stampin' Up on the pearl. I liked the look of the blue and the watercolour paper so stamped once more with blue on the watercolour and that's the one I used.


I dry fit the umbrella top on the umbrellas on pearl and like the contrast.


I dry fit with a sentiment stamped on white pearl and trimmed with a My Favorite Things Mod Square die. I added strips of dark blue scrap and a card base to decide if I needed more. I felt it needed a ribbon.


First, to make it easier to handle the umbrella and not lose the parts, I attached the handle with Zig glue pen.


I went back to Word and made the rainbows smaller and put two side by side and printed on Core'dinations vellum.


I cut a single strip of rainbows to use as a ribbon, but the strip alone was missing something.


I pulled a white and iridescent ribbon from my stash, ribbon from Micheals, and tried the edge with the rainbow strip. The ribbon was too narrow to have the edge visible on both sides if I put the strip over it, so I cut the ribbon in half.


I attached each side to the edges of the vellum. Ta-da, a more ribbon-like look to my vellum strip.


I used tape to anchor the ribbon-strip to the back of the umbrellas panel.


I added the scrap strips of the dark blue to the sides with the look of narrow matting. The ribbon would be flattened on the front of the card by the sentiment.


I used foam mounting tape to pop-up the umbrella and sentiment.  I also added three gumdrops from Your Next Stamp.


I added a strip of the rainbows on vellum to the inside as a decorative detail. I didn't have a sentiment I wanted to add.



Remeber to come play with us at Through the Craftroom Door for this week's challenge to have a chance at winning a prize package from Décosse's Dynamite Doodles.

Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Saturday: Spring
Crafty Addicts: April Showers
Scrapping 4 Fun: Soft Colours
Incy Wincy: Nature and All of Its Beauty
Crafty Hazelnut's Pattern Paper: Anything Goes
Pearly Sparkles: Anything Goes
Creative Craft Cottage: Anything Goes

6 comments:

  1. A great weather card and good explanation of process. Thanks for sharing with us at Incy Wincy, CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have created a beautiful card Rijacki. Good luck to you.Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapping 4 Fun Challenge.Hope to see you again
    Shylaa DT@S4F
    Adhiraacreations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, thank you for joining at Scrapping4fun challenge
    Hugs xx
    DT Meena Herale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at Creative Craft Cottage challenge good luck. Have a nice day
    Anneke DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using Lisa's papers and you have used her digital papers beautifully. Thanks for joining us at CHNC Patterned Paper Challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you have entered this card at Pearly challenges, wonderful design. Thanks for joining us at Pearly Sparkles this month for our "Anything Goes" Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.