24 April 2018

Magnets - Distress Oxides on photo paper


Distress Oxides + glossy photo paper + Perfect Medium + Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps = Something truly amazing!

Putting It Together

I've been dying to try this technique since the first time I saw it. I don't recall what videos I watched or who I first saw showcasing it. I got a small pack of Canon glossy photo paper a few weeks ago and finally tried it. The effect is truly amazing.


I toyed with the idea of Artist Trading Cards or magnets and went with the latter. I did a dry fit of stamps on a piece of paper cut to the usual ATC size and found a die close to that size. It's kind of odd, in a way, that none of the layout dies is the exact size.


I used the die to make sure I had the stamps laid where I wanted them.


It's real hard to see in the picture, but I stamped with Perfect Medium, just like you would do for adding Perfect Pearls or embossing powder.


I used plastic packaging to lay down Distress Oxides ink with the blender. I spritzed it liberally with water.


I then plopped the paper into the ink, squishing the ink on to the surface.


After drying it, I wiped it with a wet wipe. The Perfect Medium acts as a resist without leaving it sticky.


The palette I used for this one used some of my favourite Distress colours: Wilted Violet, Picked Raspberry, Cracked Pistachio, and Twisted Citron. The colours transform so much with the glossy paper technique that I think I will make samples to stick in my blender foam keeper.


I had so much fun with the first one, I decided to try another in a different palette. I stamped with Perfect Medium.


I added blotches of ink to the plastic and dabbed the paper in the ink.


I dried the panel with a heat gun.


After it was dry, I used a wet wipe to wipe it off for the reveal.


I used the die to trim it.


I used a palette of browns with a little green for the owl: Wild Honey, Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, and Peeled Paint. (I really need to get the 2nd set of Oxides!)


I attached the magnet strips to both of the panels.


And then the magnets were done! I can't wait to try this technique again.


Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Scrappy: Anything but a card
Tuesday Throwdown: Anything Goes
Pearly Sparkles: Anything Goes
Kraftin' Kimmie Saturday: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.