09 August 2019

Nature's Heart - stenciling, flocking, watercolour, embossing


Cool green flocking with glitter stencilling is the background for a long-retired fairy and bird from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps coloured with iridescent paint from Cosmic Shimmer.


Putting It Together


Flocking has such an amazing texture. I got a few bottles of flocking from Sparkle N Sprinkle right before they closed and am so glad I did. I've been using them in glitter techniques.


One way to use a stencil with glittering or flocking is to use adhesive sheet (or wide double-sided tape) on a card stock panel, I decided to go for a full 6" x 6". I plopped the adhesive sheet on an 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock sheet and trimmed away the cardstock around the adhesive. (I had actually printed on the other side with a full-page digi that I ended up not using, so this was actually recycling for me.)



To not have the plastic stencil adhere permanently to the cardstock, liberally apply Versamark all over. I use recycled packaging under the stencil while I do this so I don't get my work surface messy.


After putting the stencil on the adhesive, use the release sheet to press it down so you don't get gunk on the exposed sticky.


To contain the mess of glitter and/or flocking, use a shallow box (like one that you got stuff delivered in, like possibly a pizza) lined with dry Swiffer cloth. The Swiffer cloth acts like a magnet for glitter and flocking. It's amazing. I dumped out the flocking over the stencil and adhesive.


I pushed the flocking around with a dollar store brush to cover the stencil and sticky.


I brushed off the excess to a deli sheet, though a coffee filter works great, too (the deli sheet was just handier at the moment).


Carefully remove the stencil and give it a light wash to remove the Versamark and any stray bits.


On the now exposed sticky that the stencil was covering, I dumped the glitter.


Like with the flocking, I brushed it around and brushed off the excess.


Lastly, I burnished the flocking and glitter with my fingers. And all done. little muss, no fuss and it feels cool.


I stamped the fairy with the light blue-green Salty Sea on Arches watercolour paper.


I wanted a sparkly fairy, so I painted her with iridescent paint from Cosmic Shimmer. The pictures don't capture all her shimmeriness.


I placed the fairy on the background to make sure they would look good together.


I fussy cut the fairy with a narrow margin and added her to the background on a black cardbase with foam mounting tape. I embossed a sentiment from another retired Kraftin' Kimmie stamp set on a black strip. To get the soft green embossing to match the other soft green colour, I first embossed with white and then a translucent pale sea green.


Inside, I added scrap from the stencilled panel and a pale sea-green panel to add a personal sentiment.



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Green
Outlawz Twisted Thursday: Chevrons
Outlawz Monday Greetings: Flocking, Glitter, Sparkle
Penny's Paper-Crafty: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes

1 comment:

  1. Wow!Lovely card and great techniques. Thanks for joining us at the Outlawz Monday Greetings Challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.