02 January 2019

New Wonders - Sheepski Designs, stencilling, vellum, mica spray


New wonders and new beginnings are what we should look for each day. The new year truly does bring us 365 new opportunities. Butterflies are often a symbol of reincarnation, a blossoming of a new life while shedding the old. My card features Flutterby by Sheepski Designs painted with Marabu shimmer spray along with stencilling also with the shimmer spray.

Come join us for the Sheepski Designs blog challenge! The theme this month is New and/or Old. You can make something new or, since the new year is often a time for reflection, you can link up a project you previously made.

SheepSki Designs Challenge Blog
SheepSki Designs Etsy shop
SheepSki Designs FaceBook group


Putting It Together

Shortly before Christmas, I picked up a package with a set of the Marabu shimmer sprays and decided to play with them and get inky. Marabu shimmer spray is a water-based dye ink that was designed to be used with fabric but can also be used with paper. On fabric, if you heat set it, the colour will be washable. 



I used a box to contain the spray, one of the ones that was shipped to me with stuff. I changed to a new box because the old one was starting to get a bit.. well... sticky (I also use the box for spray adhesive.


The Marabu shimmer spray will go on with a light mist when the nozzle is held with wn even pressure or splattery when stuttered a bit. I laid the panel of cardstock in the box and layered on colours.


The colours do blend a bit when they're wet so you can get really lovely shimmery colours when you layer one over another.


While the spray was still very wet on the stencil (it dries slower on the plastic than the paper), I laid it over another cardstock panel.


I used plastic packaging to press the stencil on the paper, like a stamp.


Doing this gave me two panels, one as the negative of the other. I used just two colours for this panel pair: the bright lime-ish green Reseda and the almost fuchsia Rose Pink. The colour blend of these two is purply.


I decided I wanted to use vellum for the image both to give it a light feel and also to have a frosted translucence on the background. I used a Swiffer cloth to wipe down the vellum sheet before I printed Flutterby on it using the photo paper setting. While the printer ink was still wet, I added the embossing powder to the butterfly and then heat set it.


I sprayed a small puddle of the shimmer spray and used a water brush to paint the butterfly. I was pleased to find how well it worked with a brush and how easy to blend. I used Distress paint for the body since all my shimmer sprays are bright colours.


When dry, the shimmer spray on the vellum is a tad bit glossy which works well for the butterfly.


I found a die in my stash to make a perfect frame. It decided I wanted some of the background behind the vellum and some not for a contrast.


I dry fit the panels together and decided on a sentiment.


After I embossed the sentiment with gold, I adhered the vellum behind the frame.


I then lined up the inset background behind the vellum making sure the line up the right side. I used some washi tape to hold the panel in place while I added everything to a white card base. I left the inside blank because I couldn't think of anything to add.



Supplies


Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Something New
Watercooler Wednesday: Feminine
Outlawz Twisted Thursday: Anything Goes
Creative Moments: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Love to Scrap: Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. This is stunning,

    Thanks for playing along at Creative Moments,

    Happy New Year,
    Tinz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for sharing your technique, what a wonderful background, the butterfly looks like stained glass!
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Kate, I absolutely love this wonderful card of yours and want to try out that Marabu shimmer spray. What a gorgeous creation, and so well designed. Your background is a piece of art and at first I screamed at my screen, telling you not to cover part of the gorgeous stencil with the vellum. But your vision was right. It worked so well and shows off the bright and beautiful heat embossed butterfly so beautifully. The result is simply gorgeous. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love the bright colours of the butterfly against the background. I can't tell on my monitor, but it must be very sparkly an shimmery in real life. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful piece of art! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.