20 January 2019

Believe - mixed media


This project started with me just playing with stuff at a Crafternoon with a friend and evolved into a magical scene using stencilling, Marabu shimmer sprays, Nuvo Mica Mist, Prismacolor pencils, Finetec mica watercolour painting, embossing, stamping from Hero Arts and Lavinia, and other elements for a mixed media wall hanging.

Putting It Together

This project started with me just playing with stuff at a Crafternoon with a friend. I brought my Marabu shimmer sprays and folder of stencils with me. Before our Crafternoon, we had met at a local scrapbooking store that was having a clearance sale for the new year. I picked up a couple more of the Kaisercraft frames (along with a few other things) and used one of them.



I painted the frame with black gesso then assembled it, without glue, before laying the large Joggles stencil over it. I used Marabu shimmer spray, Rose Pink and Aquamarine, to spray the stencil in a box. The sharp and diffused pattern is really cool. I didn't expect it but really like it. I later lightly sprayed the frame and background with Nuvo Mica Mist, Nebula Blue, for a subtle blue spray of dots over all.


While the stencil was still wet with the shimmer spray, I quickly flopped it over on to a sheet of Bristol and smoothed it down using a sheet of deli paper. I can use this imprint for a future project, or maybe even more than one.


I removed the frame and stencilled over the back with a bright gold/yellow, Lemon, and a Prima Marketing stencil. I couldn't do the transfer/flop on to paper with this stencil because the letters would have been the wrong way around. Even if you can't read it, being mirror image still looks odd with lettering.


Back at home, I decided to add a touch of subtle glitter to the inside edge with a gold Aqua Shimmer marker.


My first idea was to stamp, emboss and colour on acetate for ethereal fairies. But... they didn't stand out enough from the background. I set them aside for a future project.


Instead, I embossed on black cardstock with black and coloured with Prismacolor pencils and Finetec mica watercolours.


I used the dies with the stamp set to trim the fairies. They're shimmery and so pretty.


I dry fit the fairy trio with a stamp from Lavinia to see if they would fit well together.


The Lavinia stamp is a silhouette but I decided to lighten and colour it a bit. I double embossed with black then with a coat of purple pearl.


After embossing the fairy on the snail, I used Finetec, Prismacolor pencil, and a couple Prima waxes to add colour. After fussy cutting the outside of the stamping, I dry fit the fairies and frame/background to see if they fit together.


I used a craft blade to remove the rest of the plain paper.


I felt like the frame needed something more, so I die cut black cardstock as a flourish then used the same shimmer sprays to decorate it.


I decided to add a word, so I painted a wood sentiment with black gesso. I dry fit it in the project.


I used blue Nuvo mica mist and gold shimmer spray on the word.


I used liquid glue to adhere the frame to the background and add the fairies and snail. I used a double layer of foam mounting tape to pop up the centre fairy so she can float over the scene.


I finished the edges of the frame by rubbing them with Cosmic Shimmer, Chocolate Bronze.


For just a touch more sparkle, I added Aqua Shimmer to to the word. I also added dots of Midnight Sky Nuvo Glitter Dot to open spots on the frame.


Supplies


Challenges

Outlawz Monday Greetings: Wing It
Crafty Gals Corner: Make it Sparkle
Tuesday Throwdown: Embossing
More Mixed Media: Anything Goes/Blue
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Love to Scrap: Anything Goes

3 comments:

  1. This is such a gorgeous creation! Thank you for sharing it in the Monday Greetings Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rijacki, this is stunning! Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Crafty Gals Corner Challenges this week. Be sure to join us next time too!
    Blessings,
    CGC DT
    Scrapbookingmamaw {My Blog}
    Crafty Gals Corner Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work. Thank you for joining the More Mixed Media challenge and A Bit More Time to Craft. Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.