09 May 2017

Kindness


Yellow and soft grey for a bright sunny thank you card made with Distress Oxide ink and a 'reverse stencil' technique. The day is bright, the world needs more kindness, and thank you for all that your do.




Supplies



Putting It Together

A few weeks ago I was the random draw winner for the Tuesday Throwdown challenge and their sponsor that week was Honey Bee Stamps. So, for my gift from them, I chose the amazing Kindness stamp set and matching die.


Kindness is such an amazing stamp set because it has such a wonderful number of possible combinations. It has big scripty pieces to form Kind, Kindness, and Kindest (these are also the dies in the matching die set) and a bunch of sentiments that go with those words. Honey Bee Stamps has a few other sets like this as well, but this is the set I chose for my prize. I plan to pick up more of their sets in the future. They stamp and cut wonderfully.


Since I wanted to colour the full panel, I used Press and Seal on the bottom of the card to temporarily stick it to my work surface.

The panel is 85lb Elizabeth Craft Designs soft finish cardstock which I absolutely love for blending when I don't plan to use a lot of water. This technique is the maximum amount of water I can use with this card stock. For more water techniques I use watercolour cardstock.


I used the blending tool to cover the panel with Fossilized Amber Distress Oxide.


I then sprayed my stencil with water before laying it down on the coloured panel.


I used a paper towel to blot away excess water.


While the stencil was still in place, I used a Clarity brush to add a little Oxide Spiced Marmalade to the centre of the sunburst. Since the panel as still damp, this blended in for a very subtle touch.


I lifted the stencil carefully to no drag any remaining water. I then fully dried the panel with a heat tool. I then trimmed the panel to the size I wanted for the card front, 5 1/4" x 4" to have a 1/8" visible border of the card base all around as a white matte.


To add a subtle definition to the edge, I used Oxide Spiced Marmalade with a blender to the just the edges.


The finished sunburst panel. Have I mentioned how much I love this stencil technique with the Oxide ink?


I dry fit the stamps on the panel with the cardbase to get an idea of spacing and layout. I have the dies as well as the stamp set but it's easier to use the large word stamps than the dies for layout dry fit.


I die cut 3 of the 'kind' and 'ness' from grey textured cardstock. I had tried die cutting and then stamping them to have the exact same grey as the other part of the sentiment, but it didn't work for me. I liked this better. The other part of the sentiment, from the lovely collection of sentiment parts in the stamp set, I stamped on white with grey and trimmed to a narrow strip. I dry fit my elements together to decide on the best, readable, location for my strip.


I used the same grey ink for the inside sentiment, from a Kraftin' Kimmie stamp set, and stenciled in a sun in the lower corner for a fun detail.


I adhered the background directly to the card base and the strip directly to that. I had backed each layer of the die cuts with adhesive sheet so stacking them and then adding the stack to the card was easy. I thought I was done at this point and even took my "finish" pictures, and then I noticed...


... I had forgotten the tidle, the dot over the "i". I had intended to add one in with an embellishment, a gem or enamel dot, so I hadn't even tried to keep the die cuts. I used a square silver stud turned perpendicular to the "i". I chose the stud over using a rhinestone or gem because I wanted to keep the card gender neutral, suitable for male or female, and didn't want to be too "blingy".





Challenges

Less Is More: Yellow and Grey
Crazy 4 Challenges: Thank you
Tuesday Throwdown: Doodles
Crafty Gals Corner: CAS (Clean and Simple)
Creative Moments: Teacher Appreciation/Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. This is fabulously vibrant and cheerful! What a wonderful spring/summer vibe! I love the stencilled sun and the carefree font of the sentiment set against the rays. A bit of empty space would keep the card truly "clean and simple" for our challenge, but it's a super card and thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card. So bright and cheerful! Thank you for playing along with us at Crafty Gals Corner.
    ♥ Lena ~ DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sunny and warm card, Kate! I love that bold die cut sentiment too - it is a great focal point. Fab inking on your stencil.....I normally get an inky fingerprint somewhere! Great to see you at Less is More this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sunny, beautiful card and great job with the stenciling! Thanks for sharing with us at Less Is More!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card. Thanks for the detailed explanation of how you made such a wonderful card and for sharing it at Tuesday Throwdown. Good luck. Debi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.