18 September 2020

Sparkle - coloured pencil with gamsol, embossing

 

A mousie fairy with her teapot house in the woods want to wish you a magical birthday. My card features stamps from Kraftin' Kimmie coloured with Prismacolor pencil and an embossing folder from Stampin' Up with Cosmic Shimmer Opal Blaze. 


Putting It Together

Last week I went to a virtual krop and had another pencil technique 'unlock', using Gamsol or mineral spirits. I had tried it before to limited success but learned the key missing information, paper type. Pencils alone can use pastel, watercolour, or other more absorbant types of paper because it has no liquid to soak in. Gamsol, though, needs a paper like those which are alcohol friendly that don't absorb the solvent as quickly so the liquid and pigment can move. It makes sense, really. 

So then I wondered how it would work with a non-absorbant surface like Yupo and had to give it a try. Firstly, the ink, hybrid Kraftin' Kimmie ink, had to be heat set on the Yupo, but then the pigment of the pencil glided with the Gamsol almost like watercolour on watercolour paper. 

For the teapot house, I used a paper that was expressly designed for alcohol ink. One thing about using Gamsol, I do use fewer pencils similar to using watercolour markers or pencils and a waterbrush. 

After adding some touches of gold sparkle to the house and fussy cutting both, I dry fit them together to ponder the scene. 

I ordered a few items from Stampin' Up, one of them a lovely background embossing folder with a 3D forest. I used Gilded Avocado opal blaze to highlight the trees with shimmery magic.

I liked how the scene was shaping up and decided to frame it. 

I used a die to cut an oval frame and added "stitching" with a gel pen along with a sentiment banner, Kimmie enamel dots, and Prima flowers. 

Inside, I added another sentiment and uses some Perfect Pearls to add shimmery sparkle to the "Sparkle".



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin Kimmie Stamps: Make a Scene








1 comment:

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.