04 September 2020

Boo! - flocking and glitter with stencil

 


Ghosties with the mosties coming to spooooook you! Boo! My slimline card features flocking and glitter through a stencil on an ink blended background.


Putting It Together

Halloween is my favourite holiday!

For the background I did an ombre ink blend on Montval watercolour paper with three Kraftin' Kimmie inks.

I added a wide strip of adhesive down the centre, well, almost the centre, but that gave me some room to trim later. 

I laid the stencil over the adhesive and used the release sheet to make sure it was fully covering.

First the loose flocking. I lay down a sheet of dry Swiffer over my work area to catch most of the stray particles. Then I put the project on a coffee filter before dumping the flocking (or glitter later). The Swiffer cloth and coffee filter help to contain the mess,

A soft dollar store makeup brush to wipe away any loose stuff. I then rub it in, burnish it, with my fingertips. 

Taking the stencil off the adhesive can be tricky if the adhesive is very strong. Use the release sheet to help it along and make sure the exposed adhesive isn't touched. 

Dumping on the glitter. Microfine works best but a chunkier glitter like this one works well, too. 

Since the glitter is chunkier, I used a release sheet to burnish it into the adhesive. 


A quick and easy way to make a slimline card, score at 3 1/2" + 1/8" (approximately 1/3 of an 11" sheet) then fold. 


Then cut along the edge to make a card 8 1/2" x 3 5/8". The remaining strip can be used for matting on another slimline card. 

I did a dry fit with the cardbase and decided I liked the black gingham ribbon but not the white sentiment strip. 


Instead, I embossed the "Boo!" with white opaque then glow-in-the-dark so it would be visible both lit and in the dark. I really like how the stencilled strip turned out. 

Inside, I used a blender brush to add a softer hint of the ghosts then stamped the sentiment. The strip was trimmed from the 'waste' from a previous slimline card. 




Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Anything Goes

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.