28 March 2020

No Peeking - paper piecing, coloured pencil


A Christmas card featuring an adorable stamp set from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps with paper piecing, Prismacolor pencil colouring, and lots of plaids.

Putting It Together

I finished making this card on Thursday night. Then, late Friday afternoon, I broke my right arm just below the shoulder (and I am right-handed, of course). I was trying to wrangle the cat outside and lost my footing on the grass and fell against the deck railing to hear kee-rack. I had to go to ER and they shuffled me to the "non-sick" side. Doc said the bad news is broken, good news no surgery to repair it. My arm is immobilized against me in a sling. If I was going to break my arm, of course, it would be in a pandemic. 

I can type and mouse a bit left-handed. I haven't tried anything crafty yet. Cropping the pictures here was a task on their own. Typing one-handed hunt-peck, too.





The challenge was plaid so I immediately thought of paper piecing. I stamped the image on the buffalo plaid paper.


I then fussy cut it. I decided to overlay the elf girl to not have too many small pieces to piece.


I used flocking with glue pen for his flannel shirt. Flocking also adds a touch of fun texture.


I stamped the image on Mi Tientes and dry-fit the plaid shirt.


I used Prismacolor pencils to colour Santa at his desk, the elf girl (which I then fussy cut), and shading on the plaid. I later added silver to his suspenders when I saw I forgot it.


I then glued the plaid shirt in place and layered the elf girl over.


I used a Spellbinders die to trim the scene.


I die cut plaid flags and a background mat of a bigger buffalo plaid. Tim Holtz ribbon tied it together.

I used the sketch challenge from Tuesday Throwdown for the layout.


I added everything to a kraft cardbase, using foam mounting tape to pop up the scene. After assembling the card, I added Nuvo drops for his buttons, red Stickles for the elf girl's poms, and Nuvo glaze on his glasses.


Inside I did the same layering and added an embossed sentiment from another stamp set.



Supplies



Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Christmas: Plaid
Tuesday Throwdown: Sketch
Outlawz Festive Friday: theme- Christmas
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper: Anything Goes
Watercooler Wednesday: Occasions 

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I love the paper piecing. Sorry to hear about your arm, I hope you recover quickly! Thanks for sharing with us at Watercooler Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your card turned out great! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges! Kath DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.