04 March 2020

Happy Purr-thday - watercolour marker, stencilling


This polka-dotty party going kitty features a Newton's Nook stamp set coloured with Nuvo AquaFlow markers and a holographic polka-dotty die-cut frame. Happy Purr-thday!

Putting It Together

The current Inky Paws challenge is for polka dots with a Newton's Nook stamp set so I thought of making it a party.


I looked through my stash for dots and remembered I have a polka dot frame I got a while back when it was on the last phase of clearance after Karen Burniston stopped being a designer for Elizabeth Craft Designs. To find an oval die to fit with the frame, I used the frame pieces from one of the other Karen Burniston frames in my stash. I like these frame sets. They're two dies that can be combined in different ways to make a large square, an oval, or a smaller square. The only oval dies in my stash that matches the curve of the oval is from Spellbinders. The largest oval perfectly fits the party-going kitty floating in by balloon.


I stamped the image on Arches watercolour paper with black then decided to emboss the lines with clear gloss as well for an easy peasy watercolouring with resit. I also stamped a mask so I could stencil the background.


I coloured the image using Nuvo AquaFlow markers, a Nuvo glitter marker, and a waterbrush. I added white dots to the teal balloon with a Posca paint pen.


I fussy cut the mask then used it to cover the image.


With the colouring masked, I used a makeup brush to stencil in some clouds with a long retired CC Designs stencil and Simon Says Stamp hybrid ink.


I wanted the sky to be subtle, but I might have gone a little too subtle *laugh* But I love the kitty floating there.


In my stash, I found a fun polka dot paper that almost perfectly matches the colours of the balloons! I used a holographic paper for the polka dot frame 'cause I love holographic. With the big dots on the paper nearly the same size of the holes in the frame, in some angles of light the frame looks almost transparent. I love how the holographic picks up like and reflections to add even more colour and fun, too. I popped up the kitty oval with foam mounting tape to give the card dimension as well as colour.


Inside, I stamped the sentiment and added the fall-out dots from the frame. I love how the holographic dots change colour depending on how the light hits them. I left a lot of blank space, too, for personal messages.



Supplies


Challenges

Inky Paws: Pretty Polka Dots
Seize the Birthday: Anything Goes
Outlawz Festive Friday: Theme - Birthday
Watercooler Wednesday: Feminine
Simon Says Stamp: Something Feminine
Crazy 4 Challenges: Celebration 


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Kate, what a wonderful card. And what a lot of work went into the making of it! Every step you took simply adds to the overall perfection of this card. I love it! Thanks so much for sharing with our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling kitty and fabulous background. The holographic paper glows and makes for a very festive card. We are so pleased that you joined us this week at Watercooler Wednesday. Karen - DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chuckled at the balloon shaped like a cat! Such a terrific card!!!! Thrilled to have you joining us this time at Seize the Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many dots! I love them! Thanks for sharing this fun card with us at Inky Paws!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.