20 February 2019

Craftroom Transformation: Phase I - Painting


I've been thinking about paint colours for months and months and months. I finally decided on shades of green

This is the second post in my series about my craftroom. The Introduction post shows the rooms I am working in how I made the decision to transform my craftspace from one small room into a much larger room.




I decided I wanted to have one wall darker than the rest of the room. I have an idea in my head to make the room feel full of growth and life.

We started the project on Saturday, 9 February. My birthday is the 12th and I had taken 3 days off from work.


After moving the loose and smaller stuff from the room, putting them on the overhang and a few into our bedroom, I started on the masking for the darker wall and some for the first of the light walls.


Since I didn't have any place else to put it, I moved furniture from the former guestroom into the middle.

This dresser, along with a dry sink, had been my mom's mom's when she was a young nurse before she married. Painted white, it was my mom's bedroom furniture while she was growing up. After my grandparents died, my mom let me have them. I was in my early teens then. We got the white paint stripped and then my dad and I stained and varnished them. If I had known then what I do now about antiques, I would have treated them far differently, but I still love them. We use them as guest room furniture because they're not large enough for 2 people and not easy to match.


My sweetie and I painted. He did the high parts 'cause I couldn't reach and ladders are difficult for me to manage with my bad knees and back.  This was the first coat on the darker green.


The next day, the masking for the darker wall had to be reversed with more masking added for the lighter green. We did the second wall, the one with the doors.


We also did a short distance into the closet wall. Once this day's painting was dry. I moved the plastic bins (my sewing and costuming stuff) to the corner by the bathroom and the other furniture in the room got moved to the centre.


At some point, I had leaned forward against the wall while I was painting. Ooops.  I wasn't the only one, my sweetie was painting shirtless and had a patch of dark green on his back near his shoulder.


When we had gotten up that morning, Sunday, we were greeted with a world of white. It's a good thing we had planned a day of painting and didn't plan to go out. Prior to this, our winter had been wet but no snow more than a light dusting.


My sweetie put up the rails on the darker green wall but one of the spots that should have had a stud didn't seem to. He needed to get drywall anchors but we were a bit snowed in. 


So we decided to paint the rest of the room. 


My sweetie brought up the 12" x 4' plywood boards for the first of the shelves and put in the few brackets he had gotten to get an idea how many more would be needed. Thankfully the snow on Monday was not too deep and he got out to shop a little. We had patched and painted the studless centre. We've been very pleased by the coverage of the Rona brand paint (and have far far more than we needed to cover the room).

To keep the post from getting too long, I'll continue in another post since this is a good breaking point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.