06 June 2018

Mermaid Kelp - Prismacolor pencils, die cutting, embossing


Smooooches! I can't help loving you! A mermaid in kelp giving a fish a kiss, what can be cuter? How about this as a birthday greeting?

The mermaid is from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps coloured with Prismacolor pencils. The kelp is a die from Scrapbooking Made Simple coloured with Nuvo embellishment mousse, Viva Decor, and Cosmic Shimmer. The bubbly background is an embossing folder from Taylored Expressions with colour from Nuvo embellishment mousse. And, the frame is a patterned paper from KaiserCraft. I think I put the kitchen sink in there, too, somewhere *smirk*


Putting It Together

I watched a video from Jennifer McGuire for a shadow box card and it sparked an idea. I didn't do a shadow box card but did use the idea that it sparked.



I started pulling together some supplies to build the idea, an embossed background, kelp frame die, and the mermaid.


For the bubbly background, I used a white panel with a slight bit of texture and the blender tool with Nuvo embellishment mousse. The mousse dries fast and doesn't 'blend', but you can layer it which is kind of like blending.


The finished panel reminds me of oil painting. This is giving me ideas for working on canvas or other heavily textured backgrounds. I used two blues and a light green because they were what I have in my stash.


I ran the panel with a Taylored Expressions embossing folder. The wave folder I have is oriented the wrong way, but I like the whimsy of the bubbles. For a bit of edge glisten, I used a finger blender and some Art Academy waxes. The effect is very subtle. I was hoping for a little iridescence.  Overall, I love how the bubbly panel turned out. I love the shimmeriness of the mousse.


For the kelp, I started a white panel of canvas textured paper andh chocolate bronze Cosmic Shimmer at the bottom. Iadded darker green Viva decor and then layered on the light green Nuvo mousse.


I built layers and even added a bit of pink mousse, 'cause kelp isn't just green. As with the bubbly panel, I intentionally streaked some of the layers knowing they would look different die cut.


I die cut the canvas panel with the kelp framing and dry fit it with the bubbles. My idea was definitely coming together. The rough texture of the paper tones down the shimmery of the mousse and other pastes/rubs to make it feel different than the bubble background.


I stamped the mermaid on Bristol with Krafty Kolours.


I coloured the mermaid and tiny dolphin with Prismacolor pencils, keeping track of the pencils used on a scrap of paper.


I fussy cut the mermaid and her pal.


I dry fit the coloured mermaid with the kelp and bubbles. Squeee!


I looked through my stash for something to work as a frame for the scene. This shell paper looked perfect. I trimmed it and used a die to cut out the window. Just the right touch.


I used adhered the kelp to the underside of the shell frame and glued small bits of the kelp to the mermaid. I should have taken a picture from the back after doing so, but I got caught up in the moment. I added foam mounting tape behind the shell frame and the mermaid with her pal before adding the bubble panel behind them. This gives the mermaid structure and lifts both her and the frame from the bubble panel. Leaving the kelp generally free lets it create its own dimension.

I stamped a sentiment from another Kraftin' Kimmie Stamp set with more Krafty Kolours on a scrap of pearl white cardstock.


Inside, I used more Krafty Kolours and yet another Kraftin' Kimmie set. To fill in the crab, I used a waterbrush with the Krafty Kolours ink.



Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Saturday: Mermaids
Watercooler Wednesday: Feminine
Crafty Friends: Birthday
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes


5 comments:

  1. Wow, Rijacki! And that "wow" is for both the finished product and the steps you took to get there. You took such care with each little element of this scene and it shows. The colours and feeling of movement in the scene make this a real piece of art. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card, Rijacki! Thanks for joining us at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge. Marsha DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for Rijackie for joining our Feminine Anything Goes challenge at Watercooler Wednesday this week. What an excellent background you've achieved
    for this underwater card. Cute images and the sponged background with bubble embossing looks amazing. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such work to make your wonderful card! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the details on this pretty mermaid card. Thank you for joining us at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.