21 June 2018

Bear Hug - watercolour, die cutting, embossing


A bear just wants to give you a hug for your birthday. My card features Unity Stamps, Tonic Studios dies, embossing, and watercolouring.

Putting It Together

For the concept of this card, I started with three challenges: Unity {Show & Tell}'s current challenge for watercolour, colours from Your Next Stamp, and a sketch from Crazy 4 Challenges.


The sketch from Crazy 4 Challenges got me thinking about a nested diamond dies from Tonic Studies that I recently acquired. 


I did a dry fit with the dies and a couple Unity stamps to start building an idea. I do a lot of dry fitting while I am creating.


Next, the colours: white, tan/kraft, teal, blue, raspberry. The challenge stipulates using at least three.


For white and the first application of teal, I decided to emboss the glorious background stamp on white pearlised paper.


I stamped the bear on watercolour paper and die cut the three diamonds. Since the centre diamond overlaps the side ones, I could use just the one embossed image. One of the bottom diamonds has a small missing area at the inner corner but it's completely hidden.


I decided to use the watercolour paint wheel since I haven't used it in a while. It's a compact set, each wheel locks into the others to make a nice little tower with a clear cover that's also a mixing tray. I used waterbrushes 'cause I love having the wet or damp brush without having clean and dirty water basins.


I decided to take a tiny shortcut and use a 'watercolour' patterned paper pack for the strips.


I adhered the strips to the kraft card base with the edges hanging over.


It's a lot easier to trim flush to the cardbase than to try to get a cut strip to fit perfectly.


For the overlapping diamonds, I first adhered the small diamonds to the back of the big one and then added foam mounting tape to the whole unit.


And... all done with the front.


Inside, I stamped the background stamp I embossed on the front with Versamark ink and heat set it for a tone on tone look. I then added a sentiment from one more stamp set. June has turned out to be a birthday month for me. I think I have made more birthday cards this month than any other.



Supplies


Challenges

Unity {Show & Tell}: Watercolour
Crazy 4 Challenges: Sketch C4C439
Your Next Stamp: Colours #91
Watercooler Wednesday: Masculine
Try It On Tuesday: For the Boys
Pearly Sparkles: Masculine

6 comments:

  1. I love your cute and so beautiful card and that you showed the progress as well! Thank you very much for joining us over at Try It On Tuesday with this fantastic project! Happy weekend!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really sweet, cute card. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesdays.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute card! Thanks for joining us on the Your Next Stamp challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute and cuddly bear he is! A lovely card and I am so pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute card, Rijacki! Thanks for joining us this week at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge. Marsha DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet card, he's a cute bear.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.