A lone decorated egg in a little basket. What hidden pleasures does this egg conceal?
A bunny and grass for it to stand up in along with a happy sentiment.
Putting It Together
I started on this card just as I was falling ill. Thus, it ended up taking a lot longer to finish than I wanted but I had to finish it to get the idea out of my head *laugh*.
I knew I wanted to do an egg shaped card but haven't any egg shape dies. The closest I have are ovals. But, and egg is somewhat oval-ish. I could do an oval in a basket and it would appear like an egg. So.. I found the oval in my newest die set (from Scrapbooking Made Simple's new line which is, sadly, a one and done release and already sold out) that was nearly A2 size. I used that die to roughly sketch my idea. I don't often sketch, this is why *laugh*. The sketches I make are more like notes to myself than anything to display.
For the basket shape, I had a thought. The largest of the octagons, if the "egg" would fit in it, would make a basket bottom. I tried the two dies together and the idea was done.
To add to the basket look, I used the 3d woven embossing folder after cutting the octagon from rust brown heavy cardstock (Scrapbooking Made Simple Colorations).
I trimmed off part of the octagon for the basket shape, but it was still missing something.
I cut a strip of the same cardstock, embossed it and.. perfect basket.
I rounded the corners on the basket top and, to give a bit of pizzaz, spritzed the basket with Perfect Pearls gold in a Mini Mister.
While the basket was drying, I turned to the egg. I used Gelatos with a wet wipe to create a mottled colouration. I had die cut the oval from Elizabeth Craft Designs soft finish white because I love the pebbly texture it has when doing a blended colouring like this. Though, I wish I had kept to just the blues for the egg and hadn't added in some green, too.
For the striping, I die cut strips of adhesive sheet with various border dies. I put the die cut adhesive on the egg, and then..
.. dumped Silk Microfine glitter on it. I tapped and brushed off the excess with a soft brush and burnished the strip with my finger.
I fitted the finished egg back into the A2 panel I cut it from so I could more easily place the basket.
I wanted to take up the full A2 height (5 1/2 inches) so placed the basket down to the bottom of the panel.
I backed the egg with a light teal heavy cardstock, so it can stand better, and created a second basket. I fitted the second basket on the back over the front one, but later decided I wanted to sandwich the easel between them.
I dry fit the egg in the basket on the easel card base I had made. I trimmed the easel for the basket but decided I wanted to have a flat area behind the egg while closed.
To give the area behind the egg a bit of interest, I die cit a small panel with the Simon Says Stamp background stitched swirls. This is one of my favourite dies for a background. Using a Clarity brush, I lightly brushed the panel with Tumbled Glass for a very light blue swirly sky.
I loved how the project was turning out. The swirly sky was the perfect subtle touch.
I dry fit the other elements I wanted to use, the grass and flowers die and the bunny stamps. But I ran out of crafting time that day and had to set it aside. Then I succumbed to a bug and was laid up sick a few days without energy to work on it :(
When I could pick it back up, I started by making a green mottled panel for the grass and flowers. Again, I used Gelatos and a wet wipe. Having a multi-coloured green gives a much better look than just a flat single coloured cardstock.
I was able to fit both parts of the die on the one small scrap panel.
Hmm.. but how to make these the stand up helper?
I coloured up some heavier cardstock and did a partial die cut, making sure the bottom was still attached.
I trimmed off the flowers to make this support panel look just like grass. I scored along where the bottom of the die would have cut and folded the grass to stand up.
I added the cut with the flowers on to the stand up.
I dry fit the grass stand up with the basket.
I added the other two grass bits to the front of the basket so it would be in grass even while closed.
I then sandwiched the easel in the basket front and back. This makes for a much cleaner look on the inside of the card.
I coloured up the bunnies with Tea Die and Worn Lipstick and then decided to use just the one. I fussy cut the bunny and dry fit him. I also coloured the tulip in the grass with Festive Berries.
I coloured the flowers by directly smushing them with Mustard Seed.
I adhered the stand up in the card base and added the bunny and flowers with foam mounting tape. I also added pearls to the flower centres.
I coloured up yet another small green panel for the bottom front and added the sentiment in Archival Black. I added a thin strip of washi to conceal the join. I left the rest of the inside blank for a personal message.
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Saturday challenge: Easter
Crazy 4 Challenges: Animal
Crafty Friends: Animal
Addicted to Stamps and More: Make Your Mark
Creative Moments: Spring Colours
Simon Says Stamp Work It Wednesday: Spring
Just For Fun Rubber Stamps: Springtime/Easter
Creative Craft Cottage: Dies and/or Punches
Creative With Stamps: Baby