The challenge for this card was one posed by Carmi Cimcata for her personal blog. She had recently been to Paris and found a collection of lovely rhinestone button blanks. She distributed these amoung a group of her crafty friends to see what their creative minds would bring forth. I am thrilled to have been part of the challenge both because I like turning my little grey cells to the task of a challenge but also to see what others would do with the very same item. This card, my French Confection, is what I created. The paper I used as the background for the top reminds me of French Provincial so I used that as a theme for the piece.
You should check out all the rest of the creations for the Rhinestone Button Blank Challenge
on Carmi's blog: https://carmicimicata.blogspot.ca/2016/05/the-rhinestone-button-blank-challenge.html
Putting It Together
While this card started with the button blank, the resin piece I put into the blank was created a couple months ago in an experiment.I first brushed the rubber texture tile with silver Alumilite powder (powdered aluminum) and then rubbed it with dark blue iris Gilder's Paste. This gives the cast resin embedded colour.
I poured a thin layer of resin on the tubber tile and let it cool. Resin Obsession's Super Clear resin cures very quickly compared to other 2-part epoxy resins. It also cures a bit more hard. In this application, it might have been better if I had used a softer resin. The thin sheet wouldn't have been as prone to cracking when being removed from the tile. Once the resin is removed, the tile can be cleared with soap and water to get off the remaining powder and gilder's paste.
I used pieces of the tile in other projects, casting it in resin, with lots left over still.
The small dome was a perfect fit for the button blank and the start of making the card.
Using Vintaj ink (Lapis) and Pearl Ex powder (True Blue), I made a blue background for the resin piece. I glued the resin piece in the bezel of the button using Glossy Accents because it is a nice strong adhesive and any seeping out from under would be hidden beside the shiny resin.
Wanting to make the button the centre of a flower, I cut flower shapes from a coffee filter using a Sizzix die. I dabbed Distress Ink to both sides of the flower shapes, letting the die saturate both the filter paper and my fingers. I then misted them with Perfect Pearls confetti white mixed with water to give them a bit of shine and to let the colours of the ink blend more.
I made 2 sets of the flowers because I was uncertain how dark I wanted the flower. Now I have flower shapes for another project.
I shaped the petals a bit and layered three of the dark flowers together, slightly offset, to create the flower. I dry-fit the button on top. You can see the sparkle from the Perfect Pearls.
All the rest:
The pattern paper at the top and in the background of the oval is doll house wallpaper. It looks so perfect here, I need to find more.
I currently don't have a plain oval die so I used the frame from the Simple Refined set to cut an ovalish shape from the pattern paper and then trimmed away the outside tendrils. I cut the openwork blue oval using the frame, the largest flowery oval and the inner oval and also trimmed off the outer tendrils. Using Ranger Multi-Medium matte, I glued the blue openwork oval to the pattern paper oval.
I stretched the ribbon across the oval and taped it down on the back. Using the tip of my scissors (because my bead reamer has disappeared on my table), I made a hole in the ribbon and the oval. I used a small bit of jewelry wire to go through the hole and the shank on the button and taped it on the back of the oval.
I made the lacy border seen behind the oval using Recollections white crdstock and the Tonic Studios Victorian border. I added to that a strip of dark blue damask from the Bo Bunny Genevieve pad. I attached these to a panel of the doll house paper to make a single panel piece.
I covered the card base with a panel cut from the same Stampin' Up light blue cardstock as the oval but the bottom was too dark for the image in my head. So, I covered the bottom with a vellum with white swirls which softened the blue without over powering the paper at the top.
The lace to doll house paper panel is raised over the vellum with foam mounting tape with the oval mounted above, layering the dimension. To finish it off, I added 3 Stampin' Up pearls to the bottom.
All this to showcase a lovely button blank and a bit of pattern casted resin.