20 March 2020

Rainbow Mandala - SVG cut


A rainbow of pride created with a mandala cut on a Cricut Maker.


Putting It Together


I have been lovin' the look of layered mandalas so was thrilled Jennifer Maker created some free SVGs along with a lovely tutorial on how to put them together. The flower mandala is 7 layers plus a base. Seven layers says "rainbow" to me.


I used my Cricut Maker to cut two each of the layers and one base from 65lb cardstock. The cut file can be used on any digital cutter or cut by hand with scissors. The cut file cuts the base then starts from the second smallest to the largest layer before finishing with the top layer. I did a couple mandalas with the cut file before this one to learn the sequence to get my colours in the right sequence.


Paired up, the layers are easy to see. I resized the overall size to 5" x 5" (or rather just a hair less than 5") keeping the same dimension in Design Space.


I glued each pair with Tombow Mono before adding it to the base and layering up.


Fifteen layers of 65lb cardstock with no spacers ends up at just over 1/4".


I then remembered the sparkly, glittery letters in my stash and found a glitter cardstock to match. I dry fit them together before trimming the glitter cardstock.


When I did a dry fit with the mandala on the trimmed panel (5 1/4" x 5 1/4") on a square which base (5 1/2" x 5 1/2"), I discovered the shape of the mandala allowed space at the bottom for a sentiment.


I tried the embossing on a bit of scrap first because I wasn't sure how it would look on the glitter cardstock.


For the inside of the card, I wanted to add more rainbow. I used the guillotine to cut strips from the same cardstock as the mandala, i.e. the scrap. I put down a couple stripes of repositionable adhesive to make it easy to put the strips side by side. I could then put tape runner on them collectively.


I used plastic packaging to mask off the back of the front and flopped the rainbow strip block in place.


I was able to remove the mask and trim the top edge of the rainbow strips easily. I also trimmed the side where they hung over.


I used a tape runner to add the background panel and mandala to the cardbase and more Tombow glue on the letters. My sweetie says, "It feels cool, too."


Inside, I added a sentiment to match the angle of the rainbow block.



Supplies


Challenges

Outlawz Monday Greetings: Square Card
Addicted to Stamps and More: Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes

3 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and happy! Beautifully put together! Thanks for sharing this with us at Penny's!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful sight to see specially in these times! I love how you matched the inside of the card to the outside.

    Thank you and we hope you will join us again in the next ATSM Challenge!.

    Anna – Design Team member at Addicted to Stamps and More

    Visit my blog - Crafty Anna Studio.
    You can also find me on Instagram - CraftyAnna Studio
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful mandala Rijacki and i do love the rainbow take on it. thank you for sharing it with us at TTCRD and good luck, Theresa xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.