25 March 2021

Nature's Kin - mica pigment powders, alcohol marker, 3D embossing, die cutting, easel

My easel card features stamps from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps, Copic colouring, drops from Nuvo, mica-pigment powders from Nuvo and Cosmic Shimmer, dies from Spellbinders, and embossing folder from Sizzix, and cardstock from Sizzix, DCWV, and Stampin' Up. Whew.


My card started with a background experiment using a mix of mica powders from Nuvo and Cosmic Shimmer and a waterbrush. I had gotten some of the brand new Pixie Sparkles and was experimenting to see how the three types of mica-pigment powders I have in stash compare. I already had several Nuvo Shimmer Powder and a handful of Cosmic Shimmer Pixie Powder. Not only are all three similar, they also work wonderfully together. So... I went on to more experimenting and created a background. It's not real easy getting the powder to poof exactly where you want, but it is fun.

I used Midnight Blue and White Pearl from Cosmic Shimmer for the sky and Green Parade, Falling Leaves, Cherry Bomb, and Solar Flare from Nuvo for the ground. I used Canson Montval watercolour paper well misted on both sides and a wide waterbrush. 


I didn't use this panel in my project but still wanted to show you what I mean by these mica-powders being similar. In a photo, the shimmer shows up best on black. I used Stonehenge black watercolour paper misted on the back and front, misted again after applying powder, and then dried with a heat tool. On the left is the brand new Pixie Sparkles - Coral Crush and centre is Pixie Powder - Burnt Orange, both part of the Cosmic Shimmer line from Creative Expression. To the right is Shimmer Powder - Catherine's Wheel part of the Nuvo line from Tonic Studios. All three have incredible shimmer. The nozzle on the Pixie Sparkles might be a hair narrower but is definitely a little longer. The particles seem to be roughly the same size as the older Pixie Powder. Both of the Pixies are mostly monochromatic with different tones in the bits. The Nuvo powder is a bit more grainy and doesn't completely melt as much as the Pixies, but there are more tones and a mix of colours in most of the Shimmer Powders. Catherine's wheel has yellows and reds as well as the oranges, like fire. All three are, as I noted before, incredibly shimmery and mica filled (shake the dry powders well before poofing), and they do work well together. The colours in the three don't appear to overlap, so... I'll likely end up getting all of the rest *laugh* (I currently have all but a couple of the Shimmer Powders, six Pixie Powders, and now four of the Pixie Sparkles -- good thing they can't possibly dry out *laugh*)

Back to the project.


I pondered what to pair with the background and there, sitting on my desk, newly arrived was the Tweetie Pies stamp set from Kraftin' Kimmie. I decided to use the hippy girl with a bird and stamped her with Totally Taupe from Kraftin' Kimmie on Simon Says Stamp cardstock. I made the bird a cardinal because they've become special to my family. I used Nuvo Crystal drops to make the flowers in her hair dimensional and gave her a Glitter Drop earring, too. I then fussy cut her and the bird.

Posca Paint Pen: White Fine
Copic Multiliner: 0.5
Copic markers: 0, B000, B00, B02, B05, E000, E00, E11, E13, E15, R11, R14, R22, R27, R32, R35, R37, R59, YR14


While I loved how she looked with the background alone, I didn't really want to do such a flat presentation. 


I love the shape of the Spellbinders Art Deco Savoy and Art Deco Savoy Labels (both long retired) cut from Sizzix Opulance - Gold matte, and it gave me the thought to use it with the new Sizzix Art Deco 3D embossing folder with DCWV shimmer paper that has a hint of gold (retired). The die is a nudge more than 5" square but the embossing folder is 4.25" x 6.25" so I had to run it twice, side by side and hide the 'seam' with the edge of the die. I assure you, I had second and third thoughts before die-cutting the shimmer background, but I think it turned out for the better overall. 


I added a sliver more of the Sizzix gold paper as a mat and created a cardbase of Dapper Denim cardstock from Stampin' Up (retired) that would also frame the creation. I added a sentiment from the Tweetie Pies stamp set on a Spellbinders rectangle from a retired set stamped on the gold with Stazon. I used Art Glitter glue to put it all together and 3M foam tape to pop up the Art Deco Savoy frame and the girl. 


To make the easel, I die cut the DCWV shimmer paper with the Art Deco Savoy frame and trimmed out some of the elements. I used Pop-up Glue Dots on one side and micro Glue Dots on the other of the small elements for stand up helpers and an edge for a decorative bottom. I added a second sentiment from Party Time Sentiments with Wicked Black ink, both by Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps. 



Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Cuteness
Outlawz Monday Greetings: For the Girls




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.