26 August 2020

Flower Friend - stencilling with foil and glitter, pigment markers

 


My card today features a lovely peony coloured with Windsor Newton pigment markers on a background of stencilled foil and glitter. 

Putting It Together

Purple is one of my favourite colours, so when a challenge is "Use Purple", I kind of use it as an excuse to go overboard. Plus, I got an idea in my head to mix foiling with glitter.


I ran a panel of cardstock through my Xyron to put adhesive on both sides. I then removed the release sheet from one side and laid down the stencil. I used the release sheet to smooth the stencil down on the adhesive. 


I laid a sheet of foil over the stencil and adhesive. I started using my fingers to rub it in place but thought the Big Shot could probably do a better job of applying an even overall pressure. 


I made a stencil embossing sandwich with the Spellbinders tan mat and ran it through the Big Shot. 


I lifted a corner of the foil and saw the it wasn't against the edges of the cells. 


I used the tip of a bone to go along all the edges. 


Pulling it up then, the edges were clean and crisp. I did have to go back over a few spots, especially the small openings. 


After removing the foil sheet, I have a really cool piece to use on a future project. 


I carefully removed the stencil using the release sheet to hold the project to not get my fingers on the revealed adhesive. 


I dumped glitter over the panel using the release sheet to hold it on the first side. Before dumping any glitter, I covered my work area with a Swiffer dry sheet and a coffee filter. The Swiffer sheet catches and holds stray glitter. The coffee filter catches overflow so it can be poured back into the bottle. 

I used a soft makeup brush from the Dollar store to remove loose glitter. 


I then burnished the glitter with my fingers.

The panel looked amazing when it was done. I'm glad I chose the "sketch" foil. The visual texture in the foil and the sparkle opaque gritty texture of the glitter look amazing together with this stencil. 

I pondered for a few minutes what to put with my amazing background and the Perfect Peony sang to me. I decided to try/use the Windsor Newton pigment markers I got several months ago in a grab bag from a local art store. They were used markers, but only $5 Canadian, if I remember rightly. I don't have the colourless or white blender from the line, so I decided to use the Spectrum Noir Illustrator blender since they're alcohol-based (I prefer the Copic blender for alcohol makers so I was willing to sacrifice this if it didn't work). I stamped with Granite Grey on heavy Yupo to give me a blending surface. I heat set the stamped ink since it, too, was barely sinking into the Yupo. I used all the markers from the grab bag: Black, Purple, Royal Blue, Violet Dioxazine, and Violet Dioxazine Deep. I am reasonably pleased with how it turned out for my first foray with these markers.

I stamped the sentiment with Whimsical Wisteria and fussy cut both the sentiment and the flower. I popped up the flower with foam mounting tape, the sentiment as well. And matted my trimmed panel with a bluish dark silver. I left the inside blank for a personal note.




Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie: Purple!
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Monday: Beautiful Botanicals
Outlawz Festive Friday: Anything Goes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.