14 July 2019

Wonder - magic picture changer, coloured pencil, stencilling


A butterfly in a garden changes to...


a sentiment.

My magic panel card features stamps, stencils and inks from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps with a Lawn Fawn die set and Cosmic Shimmer.

Putting It Together

I got a new die and was dying to use it!


I stamped the butterfly with Wicked Black on 65lb white paper. The recommendation from one of the videos for this die suggested a lighter weight cardstock than the cardbase I usually use (110lb) or most of my colouring paper (140ish lb). For my first try, I used the lighter paper. I'll experiment more later.

I also got another new set of pencils, Tombow colour pencils. The set is quite vibrant and blends wonderfully. The colours are written in Japanese on the pencils with a translation inside the cover.


To help me find images that would fit the die, I cut the frame in the set from scrap o heavy cardstock. I used that frame to trace the perimeter of the square to know where the background would be.


I cut a square of masking a little smaller than the frame and used it to cover my image.


I used Lovely Lagoon and a blender brush to add on leaves to the background over the masking. I then turned the stencil a little and added more leaves with Mossy Meadow.


Taking off the masking is kind of like a magic reveal of its own. I had masked off the top of the paper, too, but realised later it wasn't necessary since that part is totally hidden.


For the second panel for the magic change, I started with soft Purple Pansy stencilling to which I added a sentiment with Wicked Black.


I used the windows on the dies to frame the two panels and used Purple Tape to hold the dies in place.


In addition to the two panels, I also die cut the frame and pull tab topper with glittery cardstock.


Using the directions in the Lawn Fawn video, I assembled the magic window. I tried to take pictures, but it doesn't really work well in stills and from the angle I have my phone. It went together very easily.


I added the frame and pull tab topper to finish. Butterfly!


And pulling the tab, the sentiment appears as if by magic.


For the card background, I decided to use a Cosmic Shimmer opal polish I recently acquired. I love this colour. It shimmers in the light with iridescent colours.


I needed to wait for the stencilling to dry but wanted to see if it would work together so I held the magic panel over it before going downstairs to eat dinner and re-watch a couple episodes of The Expanse (can't wait for the new season!).


I used foam mounting tape under the magic panel and added everything to a white cardbase. To finish, I added a trio of enamel dots from the new Pastel Dots.


Inside, I added more stencilling and a sentiment.






Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Hogwarts challenge: Gryffindor - uplifting
Fab N Funky: Purple
More Mixed Media: Pastel
Pearly Sparkles: Anything Goes
Outlawz Festive Fridays: Anything Goes
Love to Scrap: Anything Goes

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful magic card-love the butterfly and the stencilled sparkle background.Thank you for joining us at Pearly Sparkles
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing design and beautiful colours, great step by step too! Thanks for sharing at Fab'n' Funky this week.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at LTSC, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.