School books need a bookmark. How about a little curious mouse encouraging your studies? I created this tag/bookmark as inspiration for the House Mouse and Friends challenge blog. I'm a guest on the design team for September and October.
This bookmark tag features a House Mouse and Friends stamp, embossing, Distress Oxide, and Distress ink watercolouring.
Putting It TogetherI decided to do a bookmark for the challenge inspiration. I wanted to keep it low profile to be usable as a bookmark while still having a little dimension and character. I also was going for something that would work for male or female student and have an Autumn feel.
I decided to use the Hopeful Mouse because he looks so curious, a good trait for school.
I stamped on some scrap, watercolour cardstock for the mouse in clay Mememto ink and archival black for the name tag on white.
I trimmed the name tag and cut a second to stack for a slight bit of dimension.
I used 3 Dustress ink to watercolour the mouse, using the red clay stamping as well.
I covered the image with Distress Microglaze to seal it against any water.
I fussy cut the cute little mouse with a bit of margin to keep the details.
I traced the cut mouse on white scrap cardstock.
I fussy cut the tracing on the inside so I could adhere it to the back of the mouse without it showing. Having a layer of cardstock beneath the name tag and mouse give them a little bit of dimension while keeping the bookmark tag very low profile to be usable between the pages of a book without distorting the book.
For the embossing, I wanted to use a background stamp larger then the tag. I used removable adhesive to secure the tag in the Misti.
I prepped the tag with the powder tool for a sharper embossing.
I use a coffee filter when I pour on the embossing powder and then tap the back with a pencil. I used embossing powder I got from a recent garage sale hosted by a local scrapbooking store. I paid just 10 cents for a baggie of a lovely green powder long retired and the company that made it only a memory.
I heat set the embossing. I'm not sure the 'distressing' in the embossig was from the stamping, the embossing powder, or whatnot, but I like it.
I dry fit the mouse the name tag.
I covered the tag with Distress Oxide in Faded Jeans.
I then sprinkled it with water,
heat set it,
added more colour and wiped the embossing which resists the ink.
I added more colour, water, and heat, until I got a look I felt 'done'.
The Oxides and embossing used on the background. I also sealed the background with micro glaze.
I adhere the mouse and name tag, I used Scor-tape. The Scor-tape is slightly dimensional and adheres to an uneven surface better than tape runner.
I added a bit of grey cord to finish.