16 October 2017

Relic - mixed media piece with Distress Ink, Mod Podge Melts, Glow in the Dark, and wood


As Halloween approaches, decorating is on my mind. I love Halloween. It's my favourite holiday.


This project features a small wooden coffin box embellished with a Distress ink, items molded from resin and Mod Podge Melts, wood cuts, and dollar store glass bottles.


Putting It Together

I spent Sunday crafting with a friend and it was grand!


I used Distress ink to colour and rough up the wooden coffin box I bought at Micheals: Walnut Stain, Ground Espresso, and Black Soot. I used a bit of scrap paper to hold on to the box while I coloured it on all sides. I also used Black Soot to darken the way too shiny hinges and clasp. I was away from my own stash or I would have used Vintaj on the metal bits.


I decided to put a poison bottle wood cut inside one side. I got the wood cut from Joanns and coloured it with Distress ink: Twisted Citron, Crushed Olive, and Ground Espresso.


For the other side, I used three bottles I got at the dollar store. In one I put Nuvo Glow Drops, another glow-in-the-dark glitter, and in the last Adirondack alcohol ink with a little of the glitter.

On the front, I added a skull and crossbones I molded with Mod Podge Melts and glow-in-the-dark pigment powder. I also added a chipboard word and a resin bauble I cast months ago. The MP Melts is faster to create embellishments than resin but is not as hard or shiny and clear.

Inside I added sticker words and another resin bauble I had cast and embellished with a crow sticker. I used chipboard to anchor the wood bottle and have it away from the back of the casket lid. I anchored the bottles with Glue Dots on their bases.



Supplies


Challenges

Emerald Creek Dare: Freaky Fun
More Mixed Media: Brown
Crafty Gals Corner: Make It Spookacular
The Sketchy Challenge: Halloween
Try It On Tuesday: Halloween
A bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. AMAZING project! Thank you for joining Try It On Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohw, my... This looks realy spooky.
    Thank you for joining our Halloween challenge.

    -xiss- Renate.
    (DT The Sketchy Challenges)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Halloween project is stunning! Love the small bottles. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Halloween project

    Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday challenge

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fun project!Very creative!Thank you for taking part in our challenge this week at the Crafty Gals Corner!Hope you join us again next week!
    Hugs
    Kleri DT
    http://craftygalscornerchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://kefartworx.co.uk/ (My blog)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.