Since the June KKS release, I have been thinking about doing this card of flamingo overload. Tickle me Pink.
This all started with my accumulation of flamingo papers and wanting to do more watercolouring. I actually have one more flamingo paper I didn't include in the project.
Because I wanted a watercoloured background, starting with a little sponging, I made a mask of scrap paper and removable adhesive. I stamped the image both on the watercolour cardstock and the scrap and fussy cut the scrap. It amuses me that to avoid fussy cutting on the final image, I do fussy cutting for a mask. I also drew a circle for the scene using the die I planned to use to cut the circle as the template. This shows me where I need my painting to extend to.
Using Distress Inks, I created a pool of water, beach, and sky for the background: Broken China, Antique Linen, Old Paper, Rusty Hinge, Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers. I also painted in the legs: Rusty Hinge.
I let the panel dry thoroughly before painting the birds. This adorable stamp set, Fancy Flamingos, from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps was designed by Becky Pearce, one of my favourite artists at KKS. The flamingos are ready for a pool party, one with a float and the other with sunglasses.
I painted the float in 2 yellows as a contrast to pink flamingos, Antique Linen and Scattered Straw, and added yellow to the sunglasses, too. For the flamingo bodies, I used Spun Sugar mixed with Dried Marigold and Worn Lipstick mixed with Ripe Persimmon to give them a slight bit of orange. The beaks are Rusty Hinge mixed with Antique Linen.
I used the Elizabeth Craft Designs stitched circles to cut out the flamingos.
I dry fit the card front design using some additional elements. I used the same stitched circles die set to cut a 'sun' from Echo Park Summer Party and a backing circle from Bazzill African Daisy. I cut a long rectangle from another sheet of Summer Party by cutting top and then bottom with the ECD stitched rectangles, using the same dotted stitch pattern on all three die cuts. I matted the flamingo paper with Bazzill Fussy. The cardbase is Neenah Solar White, 110lbs.
To give the flamigo paper a bit more definition I rubbed the edges with Worn Lipstick. Because the centre is hidden under the circles, I could use the very top of the pad, saving more of the paper for a later date.
To give the circles dimension I cut circles from fun foam and adhered them to the backs.
To allow the flamingo circle to overlap the sun, I cut a ring of foam and removed part to make a "c" at the point where the two circles cross.
I fit the piece on to a card front panel and added some pink C-lon cord. I decided to have the circles extend over the sides of the card front.
To make the easel, the card base front is creased half way. The adhesive is added to the bottom part. The card front is then added to just that part of the card base.
With the front panel attached to the the base, I could determine where to put the stand-up helper.
I added panel of another flamingo card stock, also die cut with the stitched rectangle. I creased the panel across the top to use as the stand-up helper with the rest adhered to the inside of the card. I added a tag with the sentiment and a few sequins. I also added Glossy Accents to the inner tube and glasses.
Tickled Pink :)
Private Facebook: Easel cards
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps 9 July Saturday Challenge: Anything Goes