26 July 2016

Dragon Marks


An adorable book reading dragon inspired me to make a series of book marks, Dragon marks.

Challenges

Simon Says Stamp blog 20 July Wednesday challenge: Things With Wings
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps blog July Krafty Scrappy challenge: Anything But a Card

Supplies


Putting It Together

I decided to make a different backgrounds for the book reading dragon. All of them start with masking so I could use stenciling and sponging for the background. I did the backgrounds the night before going to a crop which is where I painted 2 of the dragons.

Jungle Dragon - Once Upon A Time


After stamping and masking the dragon, I sponged on Milled Lavender and then used a leafy stencil with Shabby Shutters and Pine Needles. I then put the dragon into a foil pan to flick Distress Paint (Abandoned Coral and Mermaid Lagoon) and Vintaj Patina Ink (Vintage Bronze) over the piece. The foil pan was the attempt to contain the flicking.


After I took off the mask, I liked the dragon just the way it is, unpainted and not competing with the background. I just added a corner punch and a ribbon hole. Once Upon a Time....

Pretty in Pink



The first mask I made for the Jungle dragon didn't hold up well. It was on 4 Post-Its and not well place. So, I made a new mask with typing paper and removable adhesive. For masks, I often will use a different colour ink mostly because I don't want to use up my black and for pictures.


I stamped on to the watercolour paper with Memento ink.


I fit the mask over the stamped image.


I sponged Shabby Shutters on the bottom and Tumbled Glass for the sky. I then stenciled on the grass and flowers: Shabby Shutters, Festive Berries, Aged Mahogony, Wild Honey, Mustard Seed, Mowed Lawn.


With the mask removed, I wasn't sure I liked it. so I set it aside to start on the 3rd one.


The next day, at the crop, I painted the dragon in pink (Festive Berries) and purple (Seedless Preserves). I then added in white gel pen detailing as well as as highlights of Wink of Stella along the top edges of her leg and back. I added in more white and silver gel pen details to the flowers and book. I finished her with a corner Punch and ribbon hole. I love how she turned out.

Cogs


Just as withe the other two, I stamped and masked the dragon. You can see the mask was well used from the flower stencil. I also added a strip of removable tape to the top and bottom in a thin border.


I sponged on Broken China and Shaded Lilac.


I then stenciled on cogs in Tea Dye.


Like the Jungle Dragon, I put Cogs into a tin and flecked the paints on to the background.


At the crop the next day, I painted Cogs as a green dragon reading a book all about Cogs and with a quote from JRR Tolkien. Cogs is painted in hmmm... I forget. I used a circle die with a partial cut to round the top and added a ribbon hole with ribbon from the dollar store.


The Dragon Mark trio.

1 comment:

  1. These are so fun, Rijacki! I know lots of little ones who would love to have one of these! And they're a great entry for our "winged things" challenge this week - thanks for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.